Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,328   Online: 954

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Street photography without pissing people off?

Read and tried enough things here and there. Tell me how do you take photos of complete strangers on the street without pissing people off, or how to blend in a way that they don't even notice you. Especially using a wider angle lens. For me, 8 out of 10 times I'll get the cold stare, or, they have that look in the eye which I know if I take a photo of them they're gonna go crazy on you. So my question is, how do you stick a camera in someones face without them picking a fight with you?
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Switch to landscape and architectural photography.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Switch to landscape and architectural photography.

Nah, got bored with landscape that's why I'm picking fights with people on the street nowadays apparently. I don't know how many people it takes to take me down, but i do know how many they're gonna use.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A) small camera
    B) don't think about what people think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lots here on that and ethics thereof. Briefly, wide angle is obviously easier. But you can 'get permission' by making eye contact and moving your trigger finger up and down and 'ask' silently. Or like Winogrand, be ready, shoot fast & keep moving so they don't know or aren't sure it ever happened. Self-timer can be helpful, too. Or you can approach, tell them what you see, and enlist their help. All depends on the circumstances and how much of a people-person you are.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    A) small camera
    B) don't think about what people think.
    Good point, smaller camera does help i noticed. People react less to my Olympus Pen than my SLRs on the street.

Sometimes I can't help to think about what people think. For example if i am going to photograph a bum on the street, I can't help but to think what he'll do, "is he crazy enough to get mad and chase me down the street?" haha. Or better yet, when I'm in the hood.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Read and tried enough things here and there. Tell me how do you take photos of complete strangers on the street without pissing people off, or how to blend in a way that they don't even notice you. Especially using a wider angle lens. For me, 8 out of 10 times I'll get the cold stare, or, they have that look in the eye which I know if I take a photo of them they're gonna go crazy on you. So my question is, how do you stick a camera in someones face without them picking a fight with you?

Just don't do that. Don't walk around shooting people without asking. Random street shooters are perceived as obnoxious and inconsiderate people by most, and there is a reason to that. If you want to capture their faces looking at yourself this way, go ahead -- why bother not to piss them off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    Lots here on that and ethics thereof. Briefly, wide angle is obviously easier. But you can 'get permission' by making eye contact and moving your trigger finger up and down and 'ask' silently. Or like Winogrand, be ready, shoot fast & keep moving so they don't know or aren't sure it ever happened. Self-timer can be helpful, too. Or you can approach, tell them what you see, and enlist their help. All depends on the circumstances and how much of a people-person you are.
    I really like the idea of making eye contact and moving my trigger finger up and down and ask silently. That I will try, Thank You.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Podstawczyński View Post
    Just don't do that. Don't walk around shooting people without asking. Random street shooters are perceived as obnoxious and inconsiderate people by most, and there is a reason to that. If you want to capture their faces looking at yourself this way, go ahead -- why bother not to piss them off?
    Yes i do understand when you say "Random street shooters are perceived as obnoxious and inconsiderate people by most". I guess if i didn't state my point clearly, my point is to capture people naturally without them giving me the cold look. That's why I'm trying to gather thoughts on this subject and maybe able to 'appear' less obnoxious.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It depends on what you are trying to capture at the end of the day. Often if you are photographing a split second of expression that can't be duplicated in a posed photo you don't have a choice.

If you're taking a photo of a bum as you so eloquently put it- speak to them, find out why they are there- connect with your subject and then capture the emotion as you notice it.

If you are taking pictures of people on the street you are bound to get people fired up. Search YouTube for street shots Bruce Gilden. You will see what I mean.

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin