Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,396   Online: 1001

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Technically there is no arrest for something which is not illegal. You can be arrested for something you didn't do but were suspected of doing but not arrested for something which you cannot be arrested for!

When you are arrested you must be told the reason why and if that reason is not valid, it is not an arrest (or it's a wrongful arrest).

Steve.
    Actually, anytime a police officer stops you to talk to you in his official capacity you are "under arrest", including being talked to about things such as being a witness to a crime. If he takes you into custody that's a different story.
    --
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goldstein View Post
    Actually, anytime a police officer stops you to talk to you in his official capacity you are "under arrest", including being talked to about things such as being a witness to a crime. If he takes you into custody that's a different story.
    Not true, at least not in the US. He can make a "stop" but not an arrest on "reasonsble suspicion." They generally can't delay you more than 30 minutes or so (varies with jurisdiction) after which you can tell him to arrest you or pound sand, and an arrest requires probable cause. Provable cause legally requires two things: 1) KNOWLEDGE not hunch or suspicion, that a crime has definitely been committed and 2) some reason to connect you with the crime. Absent either if those you can tell him to go away and leave you alone and he has to do so. It's just sense to be polite about it though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goldstein View Post
    Actually, anytime a police officer stops you to talk to you in his official capacity you are "under arrest", including being talked to about things such as being a witness to a crime.
    Actually, you are being "detained".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    There is a "Michelle's" donuts here in L.A. It is hilarious. The silhouette of the sign is a take off on the classic Winchell's shape, and the font is almost identical. It is somewhere on the eastern part of Santa Monica Blvd, on the south side of the street. My initial thought was the it was a modified Winchell's sign, but looking at pix on the Internet, I am not so sure.

Michelle's is an old Winchell's. Winchell's signs used to be that shape.
    I figure it was called Michelle's to save money by reusing letters in the sign. Years ago there was a Texaco truck stop near here on I-10. On the freeway sign the letters, all capitals, were mounted individually on internally illuminated frames. The new owners renamed the place EXACTO, so all they had to do was move five of the six letters on each side of the sign.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-04-2011 at 02:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    In the UK you can ask an officer if you are being detained. If the answer is no, you can walk away.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In the UK you can ask an officer if you are being detained. If the answer is no, you can walk away.

Steve.
    Same here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same here.
    But a lot of it has to do with attitude. If you are being a real jerk they can find something even if it is dropped.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    But a lot of it has to do with attitude. If you are being a real jerk they can find something even if it is dropped.
    And the problem is that with a lot of cops, anything less that immediate, unquestioning obedience, or even the slightest hint of knowing your rights, makes you a "real jerk."
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Somebody argued with you in NYC? That's hard to believe.
    +1

Unless she was a tourist
    Best Regards,

Jean
    http://www.pbase.com/jcayer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As I recall from my police days, it was legally classified as an arrest. A police officer is not required, (in the U.S., anyway), to inform people they are talking to in an official capacity that they are under arrest. Police officers can also allow people to go on their way once they are satisfied.

Keep in mind, I am talking about when an officer is officially conducting police business, such as an investigation.
    --
    David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin