Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,891   Online: 787

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Let's get more posts than the DELETED thread. Maybe then it can finally be deleted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    turn over the film and he;d process it an send the photos taken that were not of the building plus pay for a replacement roll. The person handed over the roll and his address and received what looked like a $10 bill.

LOL so this is the plan:

Take empty spools of film with you in camera, pretend to shoot with a tripod, and then hand over empty cassette for $10. Change clothes, Repeat.

Or... Shoot 35 shots or 11 120 shots, and take last photo of building. Have film developed and printed for free! Change clothes, Repeat.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you get permission from the manager of the Flatiron Building? Here in Toronto you can not photograph the one here for any reason without getting permission as it is used in so many movies.
    I think the guy got scammed. In Canada, buildings (being non-people) cannot hold copyright and as long as you are on public space, you can photography as much as you want. There is no expectation of privacy for a building; I would have gone to the station to make a point of it as copyright infringement (which this is not) is a civil, not criminal, matter. What are they going to charge your with?

The local camera club specifically covered this section recently, when they brought in a local lawyer who specializes in media and copyright. You cannot copyright a building in Canada, period. As such, anyone can photograph it as long as they are not trespassing.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    LOL so this is the plan:

Take empty spools of film with you in camera, pretend to shoot with a tripod, and then hand over empty cassette for $10. Change clothes, Repeat.

Or... Shoot 35 shots or 11 120 shots, and take last photo of building. Have film developed and printed for free! Change clothes, Repeat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600-awww-yeah-guy.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	36865
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to agree with Kevin. The only real copyright on a building has more to do with the blueprints and whether another architect copies protected design elements. If you plant a building out in public, you can't lay claim to every photon that might possibly have bounced off of it. And, after all, all we're really doing is collecting those stray "free" photons.

Philosophically, I think the same about photographing people "in the wild", but civility would have me restrain myself from photographing someone who, directly or indirectly, makes it clear they don't want to be in the picture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Did you get permission from the manager of the Flatiron Building? Here in Toronto you can not photograph the one here for any reason without getting permission as it is used in so many movies. Not even for private, nonommercial purposes.
    I think that is probably nonesense.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    This may sound strange coming from a photographer but I prefer not having a photograph taken myself either especially if I don't know what it is going to be used for.
    I don't like being photographed myself but I wouldn't stop anyone stupid enough to want a picture of me.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure the expectation of privacy is relavent when it comes to image making of a nonperson. If it were, then there would not be issues with photographing persons on the street and publishing them. This area of law was not where I practiced and there are differences between the US and Canada. Privacy and IP are exclusive legal issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Let's get more posts than the DELETED thread. Maybe then it can finally be deleted.
    And you'd just be wasting another thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you get permission from the manager of the Flatiron Building? Here in Toronto you can not photograph the one here for any reason without getting permission as it is used in so many movies. Not even for private, nonommercial purposes. I was in the grill one day when someone was taking photos and the manager walked out and politely asked the person to delete the files or turn over the film and he;d process it an send the photos taken that were not of the building plus pay for a replacement roll. The person told the manager to buzz off and within a few minutes an officer approached and suggested the person take the offer or accompany him to the local station. The person handed over the roll and his address and received what looked like a $10 bill. I asked the manager about the incident and he told me the building was copyrighted as an image and taking a photo of it without permission was an criminal offence. I then asked it they would give permission and his response was if for noncommerical use, no problem but othewise there was a fee for a shooting permit. Up here many places seem to have similar requirements including public parks.
    I don't doubt your report of what happened, but the behaviour of the manager and the policeman seems completely out of line and unsupported by copyright law or other law. Building plans are copyright, not the buildings themselves.

Can you point to or help us find any credible reference to any law allowing them to extort film from photographers?

You can start here: http://ambientlight.ca/laws/overview...-i-photograph/

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin