Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,478   Online: 911

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can I just say that it is easy to give armchair critisism, but another thing entirely to take shots like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Erik I reckon you have started a really interesting series, and should make some excellent exhibition material. If only I had the chance of doing the same.. my (small) Russian camera collection would get a good work-out Colin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Can I just say that it is easy to give armchair critisism, but another thing entirely to take shots like this.
    The OP specifically asked for criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    This is a small sample. What works, what doesn’t? What can be improved? Etc, etc. Thanks in ahead.

Erik
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for support and encouragement! I'm grateful for for criticism. How could I otherwise improve?

Mark, over time I have to become more and more bothered by the perspective thingy. But this comes from my method, I use the SLR as a TLR which leads to a lower point of view. Otherwise people would be too bothered by the camera. And the framing is no easy thing to fix. The metro is full of people, commercials etc. I always concentrated on people's expressions and let the other things just be. I somehow like the faces cut in half etc. The empty areas, well I'll have to think about that.

A friend of mine who also is a very good photographer helped me to choose about 45 pictures from this series that I will go through and try to do nice prints during the holidays. Then I'll show them to a gallery. Let's see how it goes!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Man, I love the shot of the two guys sharing music player earbuds!

Gotta be a caption for that somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Otherwise people would be too bothered by the camera. And the framing is no easy thing to fix. The metro is full of people, commercials etc. I always concentrated on people's expressions and let the other things just be. I somehow like the faces cut in half etc. The empty areas, well I'll have to think about that.
    Eric, you need to answer these questions for yourself.

Which people would be bothered, them or you?

Does your audience care if taking the shot bothers either the subject or you?

As to the framing, if you get the camera up that problem is much easier to solve.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually liked the lower point of view as it offered something different and unique. It's so common to do the same old eye level, or sometimes overhead look, but the lower point of view, from below, is much more rare.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mark, the photos have succeeded because I go unnoticed or in other cases confuse people. "What does he do with that camera in his lap?" As Walker Evans noticed in his book "Many are called", people tend to relax their faces in the metro, to act as if no-one was watching. This is very interesting and this is why I do not want to bother them too much.

Thanks h.v. I think the low viewpoint is hard to do well, this was how it turned out and I am actually satisfied with many of the pictures. Satisfied enough to show them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a great collection of shots, Erik and you're to be congratulated on an exciting project. My only concern would be that the very nature of a "captive audience" like this, all crammed into a carriage, can lend a certain sameness to the shots. For my money, it's all a bit static, not much happening. That has its own validity, of course - people don't tend to do cartwheels in a railway carriage - but for your exhibition/book you might want to maybe expand the theme a little to include, say, the activity on the platforms, with people struggling with luggage etc. You might also consider using several shots in a collage format. Great that you're considering an exhibition in Stockholm, but how about approaching the station authorities in Moscow or Kiev and setting up an exhibition inside the stations? That would really be a sharing with the people.

My two cents, for what it's worth. Keep on! Show us more!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi lesm, and thanks!

I have a few photos from the platforms as well that I might include. But to me the story is not the metro system, it is the faces, the people. this will of course be a bit static.

It will be a big step for me to have an exhibition at all. I'll start with that and see how it goes. Then I'll think of next thing!

more pictures? They're all here: erikpetersson.livejournal.com
    /Erik

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin