Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,245   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: abstract.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Depending on the definition, much of my work falls into this category. I also agree with the selection of Aaron Siskind and Brett Weston as being representative of abstract b&w photography.

http://mergross.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought of this topic immediately this past weekend - we had a photography expo, and some local photographers showed and sold their work. One woman whose name I now forget had some fascinating stuff - colour photos of various flowers shot *through* a variety of solid pieces of stained glass (which she also made). Some of them were obviously flowers, but with odd colourations, and some ended up just seemingly random, well, abstractions of something.

Very interesting work, although I don't think it sold well from the look of her booth.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Abstract photography was almost "mainstream" in much of Europe at one time - have a look at Frantisek Drtikol.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To resurrect this topic...

I am the proud owner of Brett's Bank of America 1975 and his Abstraction 1954. I continue to seek out the "extraordinary in the ordinary".

I made this image this summer at the local library...

Abstract photography is everywhere... you just have to see it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I have not been formerly taught about abstract photography, but I have tried to experiment a few times with it, and I was really amazed with the results.

It is something I would strongly recommend it. At least try it!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Even when a photograph is representational, it is still an abstract, in the sense that it is a removal from context of a specific visual slice of the subject and its environment. I think the only photographs that come close to escaping abstraction are casual snapshots, because they are lacking in intention. They are purely informational, and do not wish to convey artistic meaning. To take a photograph that has artistic meaning requires abstraction.
    How true and well said.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin