Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,175   Online: 698

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Abstract large format - suggestions

Hey guys.
    I`m going to shoot my last project in my last photo course. It`s very depressing. But I`m going to be shooting 4x5 and I haven`t been able to come up with anything. But when I was discussing the project with somebody else in the class, it hit me to do something abstract.

My problem now is, I have to do my shoot tomorrow and I have no ideas. I`m going to browse some pictures online, but do you guys have any suggestions?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Take a look at Brett Weston's work, especially his Abstraction portfolios. I've always been a fan of Weston's work and find it to be very inspiring!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.photographywest.com/pages...abstracts.html

Subject material can be anything.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go photograph some cracks in rocks, or tree bark, or a close-up of anything with a repetitive pattern. Turn your brain loose.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never really thought about abstract photography all that much. But it's something that really interests me, and with the large format, I can really blow something right up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might also look at some of the work of aaron siskind
    http://www.google.com/images?q=aaron...w=1184&bih=800

who was involved with the new york school
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_expressionism

have fun !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-17-2010 at 07:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The most important thing about abstract photography to think of when finding and composing images is to remember to minimalize if not eliminate context. A photograph of a road can be abstract if you don't have buildings to give it scale or perspective. A rusty car becomes abstract when you photograph it such that the rust becomes a pattern, or the shapes and form of the vehicle is the subject.

Or do photograms or still lives - look at Ruth Bernhard and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy for examples.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go Constructivist! Light Line and Mass

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm kinda fond of the Equivalents series by Stieglitz. Not only is it really early abstract, it is subject matter everyone has access to. Good luck with the weather for it.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Picaso was inspired to paint his abstract art by photographs of the time that showed things cut in half, or parts of things missing, perhaps you could look at some of his works and use them to inspire your photos. It might be interesting in a full circle kind of way.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin