Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,147   Online: 844

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How the Nazi genocide differed from all previous and subsequent ones was it was on a vast industrial scale.
    Ben

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Benji you're absolutely right but I feel that there is a danger that we will forget all other massacres because of the scale of the NAZI killing industry. It's already the case with the victims of the Nazis we are often forgetting the russians civilians that were killed in the concentration camps more than 6 millions or the Roma and Sinti, the Women accused of adultery (the only group with a near 100% mortality rate) that were used in the concentration camp brothels (yes they did exists and were used by prisoners that did good work mostly spying on others) and are still not officialy considered victims of the third reich death machine.

Only looking at the third reich makes us blind to other genocides or medical experiments that are sometimes still done. We currently have a scandal in Austria involving experimentation with malaria on children from state run children homes starting in the 1960 until it seems quiet recently and Austria is not the only country to have done so. Its on a smaller scale but no less horiffic especially after the third reich, one would think that the practice of illegal medical experiments on children would have stopped.
    A friend of mine was with austrian military intelligence in Rwanda and still has nightmares from what he has seen. Pretty much all european as well as the US government had a military presence in Rwanda and they did nothing because the were to busy selling machets so that seven year old children could kill their neighbors. Around a million dead later the UNO declares their action a failure well some countries did their best to bloc the UNO in order to sell arms. Dead is dead it doesn't matter wether they were killed in an industrial fashion trough gas chambers or killed by a seven year old drugged out child with a machet hacking them to pieces.

We should never forget any genocide of the 20th and the genocides to come in the 21st century and try our best to stop them from happening, incidently after killing Gaddafi the UNO does nothing against the ethnic cleansing ( people with dark skin)in Lybia by the former rebel militia.

So my question do we learn from the past?

Dominik
    (praying that we learn from the past and stop bad things to happen in the future)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    When one answers the call to public service, he should remember that he temporarily assumes a LOWER station in life.
    Agreed. As my father used to say about government officials, councillors, police officers, etc. "They are our servants, not our masters".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post

Only looking at the third reich makes us blind to other genocides or medical experiments that are sometimes still done.
    Well said Dominik. But let's not also forget the atrocities & cruelty that are STILL being done to animals in laboratories the world over. And the animals in shelters, and the animals in the streets. And farm animals. Yes, they're not human..but does that mean they deserve anything less from us?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    How the Nazi genocide differed from all previous and subsequent ones was it was on a vast industrial scale.
    As opposed to places like Rwanda where victims were lined up by the sides of the roads, summarily machine gunned then their bodies were simply left laying on the ground to rot.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Well said Dominik. But let's not also forget the atrocities & cruelty that are STILL being done to animals in laboratories the world over. And the animals in shelters, and the animals in the streets. And farm animals. Yes, they're not human..but does that mean they deserve anything less from us?
    So stop using them in your film and paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tomalaphicon: That means I'll have to go back to digital. Been there, done that, ain't going back.

It's a shame film & paper is made using gelatin...if there was a 'vegetarian' sort of film/paper, I'd grab it in an instant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was at the most recent meeting of the Northwest Alternative Photography group in Bellevue, Washington, USA.

One of the subjects of discussion was one member's experiments with developing alternatives to gelatin for various alternative processes.

The technical details were a bit beyond my knowledge of chemistry , but the discussion was fascinating.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    As opposed to places like Rwanda where victims were lined up by the sides of the roads, summarily machine gunned then their bodies were simply left laying on the ground to rot.
    I didn't write that the N.A.Z.I genocide was the only one that was a heinous crime and that any previous or subsequent ones were any less repellent, only that The Holocaust was premeditated exploitation, mass murder on an industrial scale using production line principal in gas chambers and ovens in which even the victims possessions clothes, jewellery and gold teeth fillings , and even their bodys used to make soap from and the proceeds of the sale used to swell the S.S. coffers.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a photography forum. Let us not turn the conversation into sociopolitical debate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin