Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,205   Online: 1062

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I was at the most recent meeting of the Northwest Alternative Photography group in Bellevue, Washington, USA.

One of the subjects of discussion was one member's experiments with developing alternatives to gelatin for various alternative processes.

The technical details were a bit beyond my knowledge of chemistry , but the discussion was fascinating.
    I'd have love to be able to hear that discussion on alternatives to gelatin, Matt. What kind of 'look' does the gelatin-less alt process produce?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    I'd have love to be able to hear that discussion on alternatives to gelatin, Matt. What kind of 'look' does the gelatin-less alt process produce?
    As I understand it, the results are still "works in progress"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As far as printing methods without gelatin, there are many -- cyanotypes, platinum, Van Dykes, etc, that are on various watercolor papers, but probably you know this. Direct prints (photograms) would eliminate the need for gelatin based films.

There are polymer plates for other printing processes -- I wonder if that technology could be used for photographic purposes?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    As far as printing methods without gelatin, there are many -- cyanotypes, platinum, Van Dykes, etc, that are on various watercolor papers, but probably you know this. Direct prints (photograms) would eliminate the need for gelatin based films.

There are polymer plates for other printing processes -- I wonder if that technology could be used for photographic purposes?
    Yes, I've heard of cyanotypes, Van Dyke prints, platinum, palladium ,etc..but regrettably I've never tried my hand at making one. I don't print much, perhaps just once a month, and even then it'll just be making prints of 1 or 2 negatives. I'm more interested in an alternative to gelatin in the image capture process, instead of in the printing stage. Perhaps it's time to try wet plate collodion?

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Agreed. As my father used to say about government officials, councillors, police officers, etc. "They are our servants, not our masters".

Steve.
    And indeed this is why police officers who remember what they are taught in training should still address the person they've just nabbed, however heinous the crime, as "Sir" if they are doing their job properly.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Additionally, cops are supposed to remain as neutral as possible during the process. They are not judge, jury or executioner. They are simply the "point guards" of the legal process.

If they start expressing judgments about the people they deal with in their official capacity, they stand to spoil the case.
    If a cop makes a disparaging remark during an arrest, the defense could come back and say that the defendant was singled out or treated differently because of appearance, race or some other form of prejudice. If that argument stands up in court, a guilty man could go free for a cop's lack of ability to bite his lip when it's necessary.

I would also say that other government officials should "bite their lips" when acting in official capacity. They should also put aside their prejudices as much as they can. (Very, very few humans can put aside 100% of their prejudices, 100% of the time.)

Back to the topic sentence... We all know that Hitler didn't bother to put aside his prejudice. In fact, it was the main plank in his platform.
    Because of that, an entire country spun out of control and nearly took the rest of the world with it.

That's one reason why I say that elected officials need to remember that they were elected to do the peoples' business, not their own.
    Had that been followed, Hitler might not have come to power and, subsequently set the world on end.

(Okay... If somebody at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts had seen fit to give him a set of paint brushes, maybe he never would have sought political office in the first place but that's another story for another time.)

Bringing this back to modern times, I think this idea needs to be reinforced with politicians, today.
    I don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Labour, Tory or Martian. Our entire system of government needs to be brought back under the People's control

I just hope that things like this, these pictures of Hitler living high on the hog while the rest of the country suffers through depression and descends into war, are enough to shock people into getting back to basics.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ...I'm more interested in an alternative to gelatin in the image capture process, instead of in the printing stage. Perhaps it's time to try wet plate collodion?
    Fertilized or unfertilized eggs?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You mean albumen, Vaughn?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You mean albumen, Vaughn?
    Whoops, my mistake!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin