Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,745   Online: 905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Just to make it clear, I believe that power falling into the hands of a few is bad. This goes for Communism as well as Capitalism. When that happens, this power is used to oppress the masses with both systems.
    I think it's too easy to make it political, so I agree with you here.

There's areas in many countries of all political persuasions where areas become neglected for various raesons. There' a couple of threads on APUG of a US city where the public buildings are collapsing and decaying (maybe Detriot but if not one of the cities in that region) and I could take people to small areas here in the UK, and also in Greece and Turkey where you's find quite similar decay.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I think it's too easy to make it political, so I agree with you here.

There's areas in many countries of all political persuasions where areas become neglected for various raesons. There' a couple of threads on APUG of a US city where the public buildings are collapsing and decaying (maybe Detriot but if not one of the cities in that region) and I could take people to small areas here in the UK, and also in Greece and Turkey where you's find quite similar decay.

Ian
    agreed, you just have to take a trip to my Abertillery - in the free UK

Shooter
    35mm
    My point is that the urban renovation was linked, by the OP and probably by Der Spiegel, to the concept of freedom: How bad it was and how better it is now. And I agree it is overall better now, but not at all because of the urban renovation, or the urban development in general.

If urban development were correlated to freedom, then one could infer that the most free places on Earth are China, Saudi Arabia and Dubai*.

In Germany the idea of old architecture being "related" to Nazism was quite widespread in leftist circles. In cities governed by the left, such as Frankfurt, reconstruction took the American architectural "example" literally (skyscraper district, glass and iron, "international style") while in cities governed by the right the reconstruction of historical centres was, as far as possible, adherent to the old architecture.

That happened because architecture was perceived to reflect somehow a political manifesto and the left wanted to be "democratic", "westerner" more than "German". You have to consider this in light of the deep guilt complex in which the Germans buried themselves for decades (that would be another thread).

The Poles had no such "guilt" and to great pain and effort rebuilt the historical centre of Warsaw as it was.

Something similar happened in Rome. The EUR district, which is a beautiful IMO example of Fascist architecture, and of which the building in my "avatar" is an example, was left unfinished by the war. After the war, when the quarter was completed, basically all new buildings, with a few exceptions, were built in "international style". The contrast between the two styles is striking. Just like the "fascist" style was perceived, by anybody at the time, like a political manifesto, so the completion of the quarter was decided in a way to pass a political manifesto.

Although the Rolling Stones are quite far from my musical tastes, I wouldn't judge them unaccomplished musicians because they never wrote a Requiem or a string quartet. That was not their "purpose in life".

Fabrizio

* And the same goes if availability of capital were linked to freedom.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Excellent description Fabrizio. It is interesting how on the outskirts of such cities as Nuernberg you have the Western international architecture and the rest of the city was rebuilt so perfect, when you stand atop the central hill, the before, after and the current pictures they have posted of the city are surreal.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Not to toot my own horn, but I do have a degree in this type of stuff and lived there for a while. The essential idea for the Russians was to Russify (not made up) east Germany. They saw updating existing homes/structures as a waste of resources and instead went about building new buildings in the Russian style, i.e. big ugly cement buildings meant for holding the most people at the least expense to the government.

Most of the "ugliness" seen by us modern Westerners was due to the lack of resources given to the population to restore/build/beautify their country. The Soviets didn't have any capital, and without money from exports--which was huge for East Germany prior to the war--things became decrepit and wasted.

Oddly, they did spend a good amount on cinema and have wonderful films. There's a resurgence of East German nostalgia showing it's head in more recent films such as Goodbye Lenin, where the good things about communism are being remembered and the worst parts, conveniently, forgotten.
    Love that Film!
    Come see my photos here > http://studiobilly.tumblr.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    very well put Fabrizio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin