Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,466   Online: 1107

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Thanks for posting, Kav. Great stuff. These are from a world I never get to see.

And I do think the boots compliment the dress nicely...

Ken
    Ken,

I told my friend to wear her boots to save her feet wile scampering across the rocks, and to take a few photos like this. Interestingly, I used Nikon's 35mm f1.8G DX (crop digital sensor) lens. When used on a full frame camera almost wide open it has a look to it that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    Very interesting, and takes me back a long time to traveling in military transports...
    thanks! I'm glad you enjoined them. I like using my large format cameras so I can also use flashbulbs. I love the look they have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you say "large format" and "flashbulbs" are we talking a 4x5 Graphic of some sort? Do the flashbulbs look like my avatar, but without the burn marks?
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    When you say "large format" and "flashbulbs" are we talking a 4x5 Graphic of some sort? Do the flashbulbs look like my avatar, but without the burn marks?
    Ken,

Yes, I have 2 Speed Graphics (and a Sinar F2). I normally use M5B flashbulbs, but have used bigger ones. Basically whatever I can get my hands on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    I normally use M5B flashbulbs, but have used bigger ones. Basically whatever I can get my hands on.
    The reason I mentioned it is that scrounging flashbulbs can sometimes get expensive. I have a couple hundred Sylvania Press 25s in my stash that I continually replenish and will occasionally pull out because I also like their look. That longer ramp up and down time to and from full intensity softens the edges of subjects. I like that closer-to-correct vintage look.

But at anywhere from $0.50 to $1.00 per bulb, sometimes I like to substitute an electronic flash instead. To that end, I recently purchased a brand new Sunpak 622 Super unit with a zoom head. This unit is rated by Sunpak at GN200 at ISO100, which is a near perfect match for the Press 25s. I verified this by setting up a flash meter outside after dark (no reflected light) and in actual use found the two to be virtually identical in light output—albeit both somewhat less than GN200, as would be expected. So performance-wise it's a near one-to-one substitute for the bulbs I use.

The reason this is interesting is that someone somewhere seems to have gotten their hands on a large supply of NOS 622S units and zoom heads.* Presumably this is Sunpak finally emptying their warehouse of an obsolete (to them) product line. As a result, these units can at the moment be found all over the place for pennies on the original dollars. I paid USD $179 for a new unit with a new head. At one time these professional system flashes went for something like $600-800, I believe.

In fact, I actually jumped in for two units, and set one aside as a backup for down the road. I then cobbled together a nice looking and very robust mounting interface to my 4x5 Crown Graphic that uses the original Graflex Graflite clamps. The 622S is heavier than the Graflite, but also less bulky and less expensive to operate. Last time I looked B&H was still carrying these NOS units, as were several eBay vendors.

As you (and others here) also use a Graphic, I figured I'd pass the info along before this current supply of NOS 622Ss dries up, in case you hadn't heard and might be interested.

Ken

* So far I've only seen the zoom heads (ZH-1) advertised as new. But this was the most desired option back in the day.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi kav
    thanks for posting these, and thanks for your service !

we are richer because of it.
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Kav, respect and best wishes from a former Royal Marine, who served for five years in 42 commando a lifetime ago, but "once a marine always a marine" .
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-12-2013 at 07:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin