Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,854   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format

Some of my time in the Marine Corps

While I am not an "official" photographer for the military I almost always seem to have a camera on me. And many times I end up being the de faco unit photographer. Here are a few of my photos from the last two years. I hope you enjoy them.

Some of the large format photos:

From Africa (developing with out running/hot water and not knowing what I was doing led to some interesting processing errors):

We stopped in at Lake Assal in Africa. 509 feet below sea level.

Last edited by Kav; 08-08-2013 at 11:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool - I actually like the processing "errors"; gives the shots a more gritty feel and adds to the story of where and the conditions under which they were shot.

Look forward to seeing more!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. I think these are fascinating. By comparison my job and life are as boring as hell. You cannot imagine how grateful I am that you guys do what you do. If you didn't, nobody else would. And then the rest of us would all be in big trouble.

I'd like to see more, if that's possible. Can you say where in Africa?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great shots Kav!

Your helicopters shot from last year's print exchange is one of my favorites...

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Wow. I think these are fascinating. By comparison my job and life are as boring as hell. You cannot imagine how grateful I am that you guys do what you do. If you didn't, nobody else would. And then the rest of us would all be in big trouble.

I'd like to see more, if that's possible. Can you say where in Africa?

Ken
    Ken,

We were in Djibouti. The Navy has a small base there. I enjoy my job, and will miss it when I retire. But I am glad I can share the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Very cool - I actually like the processing "errors"; gives the shots a more gritty feel and adds to the story of where and the conditions under which they were shot.

Look forward to seeing more!
    The messed up photos have started to grow on me. I'm just glad they turned out at all.

The large format photos from Hurricane Sandy did not precess well at all. Most were unusable. This was the only one that came out:

Here's some 35mm ones:

Even though it's a 35mm shot, it prints up to 16x20" with great detail:

We got to go have fun too:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fascinating - thanks for sharing!

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Great shots Kav!

Your helicopters shot from last year's print exchange is one of my favorites...
    Bill,

I'm glad you liked it so much. It was fun to get to do, I loved all the prints I got in return.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These first two are LF shots from Africa, the rest are 35mm stateside ones. Save for the elephant shot. I took some time off to visit a friend in Thailand. After spending the better part of a year deployed across the country and the world, I wanted to get far, far away from work for a few weeks.

Right before this elephant stomped me...

One of my fellow Marines got married. She wanted some photos in her dress while we were on a stateside deployment:

Toying around with night time stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting, Kav. Great stuff. These are from a world I never get to see.

And I do think the boots compliment the dress nicely...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting, and takes me back a long time to traveling in military transports...
    Regards
    Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin