Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,267   Online: 944

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    But Tom...

It isn't that Fox News appeals to those who don't like newspapers.

It is that Fox News appeals to those who cannot read the newspapers.

That's an ignorant and insulting comment.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lots of our newspapers are free now.

But lots of people spend time on trains bus and coffee shops - using a smart phone for surfing the web, games e-books and e- newspapers or even APUG...

My hot news friends are frequently preempted by smart phone pictures or video cause they are on the news editors desk first.

You don't need a 4x5, Leica M3, or VR DSLR for hot news being there and not doing a selfie is sufficient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    But Tom...

It isn't that Fox News appeals to those who don't like newspapers.

It is that Fox News appeals to those who cannot read the newspapers.

Fox appeals to me and I can, and do, read newspapers/news-websites in four languages besides English. I still have important copies of Pravda and Izvestiya from the 1960's at home that I've saved (in case you're too young, those papers were the official newspapers of the Soviet Union).

It's common to portray those who you disagree with as stupid or uneducated, because if you were to consider them as intelligent, you may have to reconsider your beliefs.

From the perspective of journalism, Fox covers both national and international news stories that you won't see covered by CNN or MSNBC (or rarely covered). Yes, they have their opinion-based programs on in the evening. but their news reporting is well done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,

Photojournalism may be not what it was but it is far from dead. The Daily Mail online (UK) is hardly the last bastion of "real" photojournalism but look what story is currently the front page splash (15/08/14) -

Front page link (will change!):
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Link to the story page:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-country.html

It may not be a Life article but is it not photojournalism?

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry folks about the Fox News comment. It was a long time ago, and I was being especially mischievous in my "poking the bear" response to some of Tom1956's more outrageous comments in this and many other threads. I ought to have held back. Tom isn't allowed to post here anymore, so he can't really participate in this revived thread.

I'm not fond of a lot of material I see on Fox News, but I don't really believe that most of its viewers are any more, or any less literate on average than the regular viewers of other "news" sources.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    That's an ignorant and insulting comment.
    I would say he is merely stating facts. No opinion just the truth
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Sulphate View Post
    Fox appeals to me and I can, and do, read newspapers/news-websites in four languages besides English. I still have important copies of Pravda and Izvestiya from the 1960's at home that I've saved (in case you're too young, those papers were the official newspapers of the Soviet Union).

It's common to portray those who you disagree with as stupid or uneducated, because if you were to consider them as intelligent, you may have to reconsider your beliefs.

From the perspective of journalism, Fox covers both national and international news stories that you won't see covered by CNN or MSNBC (or rarely covered). Yes, they have their opinion-based programs on in the evening. but their news reporting is well done.
    People who read the Wall Street Journal might also read "star magazine" it doesn't legitimize star as a real news source.

You may be literate in 4 languages but if you can't recognize that Fox News is a joke then you don't understand what правда is...

Also ironic that you would choose a soviet newspaper when to my understanding much of that during that time period was propaganda anyway...

This is all OPINION however, please don't be mad or insulted, I also know very little about history of other cultures/countries so if I'm wrong, please say so.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    People who read the Wall Street Journal might also read "star magazine" it doesn't legitimize star as a real news source.

You may be literate in 4 languages but if you can't recognize that Fox News is a joke then you don't understand what правда is...

Also ironic that you would choose a soviet newspaper when to my understanding much of that during that time period was propaganda anyway...

This is all OPINION however, please don't be mad or insulted, I also know very little about history of other cultures/countries so if I'm wrong, please say so.
    You are believing everything you read in US news papers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Not to be too blase about it but from what I have seen, newspapers really dont give a sh!t about the photos they print.
    Or the news in most cases.

Sent from Tap-a-talk
    Lots of truth there, mostly about making a buck.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Actually, I think it's not just the photo variety of journalism that's in decline!
    Yeah, our youngest daughter was a journalism major in college. As an adult, she has NEVER subscribed to a newspaper. I can't say I ever saw her READ a newspaper (we had subscriptions to TWO of them!) before she moved out on her own, or even when she temporarily moved back home for about a 9 month period! That's why newspapers are dying...nobody reads them, they rely on the internet. I wonder where they think the internet news feeds come from?!?!?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin