Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,971   Posts: 1,632,738   Online: 769

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone

i only joined this forum a few minutes ago - pretty stumped as to how I go about introducing myself/ how to start new posts etc etc - is there a new members section??

Anyway...Back to topic - Photojournalism....

I'm mesmerised by the photographers from the era of "Life" magazine. I have around 50 copies in the loft. When one considers how basic their equipment was back then and then to view their work is simply breathtaking. It really knocks it home how much modern photojournalism has fallen in the last decade. I think the "photo essay" is what created the magic back then, whereas today's press photographers have to conjure up that story in one image - a pretty tall order by any means.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG 'Tosh'.

New member introductions are traditionally posted here:
    Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community

Perhaps it's because back then the skill set of being a photographer was not as readily available to everyone as it is today. It was still something that had to be mastered and continually practiced to be proficient, so only the more dedicated were willing to follow that path. And dedicated people produce better results.

There was a time when to have a photograph of a noteworthy spot news event (think the Hindenburg disaster) was considered a lucky event. It was rare to have a camera present, and even more rare to have a competent photographer operating it, when those unexpected events occurred.

Today everyone walks around with a camera in their phone. And it's automatically assumed that if something newsworthy happens, there will be a picture of it available. And more often, a video that pops up on YouTube (think the death of that young race car driver a few days ago, thousands got to watch him die before the police even knew it had happened).

The world has changed. And as you so correctly observed, "modern photojournalism has fallen..."

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-16-2014 at 01:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammer. This never used to happen with a typewriter...
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ... if you can't recognize that Fox News is a joke then you don't understand what правда is...
    ... Also ironic that you would choose a soviet newspaper when to my understanding much of that during that time period was propaganda anyway...
    My family escaped Communist Hungary. I was a Russian translator, mostly of military and scientific documents. I read Pravda daily, which is why I named it as an example. I am painfully aware that it was essentially all propaganda.

You may disagree with the right wing/conservative viewpoint. Yet, when domestic issues come up that I would think any journalist would salivate over like Woodward and Bernstein, it is downplayed, dismissed, or totally ignored by CNN and MSNBC. I read and watch the news from multiple sources, from all parts of the political spectrum and, in my opinion, Fox is more comprehensive and fair, presenting opposite viewpoints as well.

I apologize for taking this off-topic, so I will not reply further.
    Last edited by Theo Sulphate; 08-16-2014 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Sulphate View Post
    My family escaped Communist Hungary. I was a Russian translator, mostly of military and scientific documents. I read Pravda daily, which is why I named it as an example. I am painfully aware that it was essentially all propaganda.

You may disagree with the right wing/conservative viewpoint. Yet, when domestic issues come up that I would think any journalist would salivate over like Woodward and Bernstein, it is downplayed, dismissed, or totally ignored by CNN and MSNBC. I read and watch the news from multiple sources, from all parts of the political spectrum and, in my opinion, Fox is more comprehensive and fair, presenting opposite viewpoints as well.

I apologize for taking this off-topic, so I will not reply further.
    Your viewpoint is very valid and this is sort of still on topic, no need to apologize.

I'll have to re-think fox and see what you're talking about.

Спасибо!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin