Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,979   Online: 967

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The slow death of photojournalism

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of the about 47 academies that train photographers on academic level in applied photography in Germany 2 offer explicitely a study of photojournalism.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sad, but it's the way of the world... The journalists who aren't photographers will probably just use their phones to take pictures, the sad part is, the phone I have could easily print double the size of a full page image on a news paper...

Kind of like when photojournalists switched from graflex to 35mm, they no longer needed big negs to get the detail...

I don't think of course that the quality of a train photographer could compare to someone wielding a cell phone, but the fact of the matter is that most of the images in newspapers aren't exactly artistically taken THESE DAYS. Heck, my local paper right now which I know has a real photographer on staff, looks like it was taken by a 14-year-old with a cell phone anyway.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's the narrative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I think it's not just the photo variety of journalism that's in decline!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I give this newspaper management great credit. Conventional wisdom would say that, when your product is increasing viewed by consumers as less valuable (as evidenced by subscriptions), you reduce the price and add value. However newspaper management isn't constrained by this conventional wisdom. They're going to provide less and less value at increasing cost.

In other words, when you find yourself in a hole, dig faster.

Hope it works for them.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    We have two local TV stations that are owned by Nexstar Broadcasting they will use the same journalism for both channels on the same story. What little I have found out there are no high pay jobs. The local paper is just hanging on

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Actually, I think it's not just the photo variety of journalism that's in decline!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I give this newspaper management great credit. Conventional wisdom would say that, when your product is increasing viewed by consumers as less valuable (as evidenced by subscriptions), you reduce the price and add value. However newspaper management isn't constrained by this conventional wisdom. They're going to provide less and less value at increasing cost.

In other words, when you find yourself in a hole, dig faster.

Hope it works for them.
    I've always thought the same thing. Never saw any bunch where the expression "they do it to themselves" is more true.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is more journalistic photography than ever. People just aren't getting paid to do it. And the output venue just isn't a newspaper very often anymore.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are long discussions going on how newspapers have to evolve to survive. In all those discussions I never heard anything about photography.
    Whenever there was reference to what a reader seeks it was about intriguing writing. Not about intriguing photography.
    How high, or how low, is photography ranked on the wishlist of the reader of the newspaper to come?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin