Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,448   Online: 714

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PJ using film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call me a dinosaur, but I still love the saying, "film at eleven". I think we all get there's a place for dig, but not for anything of importance at my house. Yes, even I use a digisnapper for on line gear sales, but that's all I use it for.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm

deadline

I worked for a major news photography company that -- long before the Internet -- had the slogan "a deadline every minute" of the day and year.
    But not every photojournalism assignment is on a tight deadline. If a film camera does a better job -- go for it. Some mighty fine photojournalism has been done for weekly newspapers or magazines and they don't need digital. And for those on a budget, my Rolleiflex will take better quality images than any digital that costs less than $3,000. IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Horses for courses and all that. I think they're right - the requirements and demands of Photojournalism are an ideal match for digital. If I had to shoot those assignments, as much as I love film, I wouldn't even think of shooting them on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See him load that film at 1:30?!?! Holy Moly, it took about 2 seconds.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've only seen Bruce Guilden with a M6 or FM2n when he is 'flashing' street shots... 28mm with either.

He does not have deadlines.

He appears in London about twice a year.

Slightly different topic while 'doorstepping' a demo in front of BBC in London, one of the hot news DSLR pro PJs who I meet ocassionally at demos, starts asking me film and darkroom questions.

Eventually I ask why all the subtle film questions?

Ans

'
    I need a wet print portfolio to demonstrate Im a real photographer and not a noob who has just borrowed a DSLR from my Uncle! That is the only way I get eg paid assignments...

'

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post

Whether or not you side with digital or film, seeing a true professional and master craftsmen load a camera like that is amazing. When I saw him load that, I thought "Well he DEFINITELY still has it." I think if more old school photographers did experiments like this, it would inspire more people to 'unplug' more often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Im going to go practice that door flip he did. Very cool.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yea when you flip it you gotta say

'Beam me up Scotty.'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I'm completely humiliated just looking at that...

How about the failed "chimp peek" at 5:35? Endearingly silly.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin