Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,850   Online: 943

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez View Post
    of course not, I'm doing it because I love to. But I love to sell too. I love to be shown. And I think that what I'm doing could be "hang" in a gallery. The first living photographer that have a show in MOMA was Diane Arbus
    Actually Walker Evans had a show at MOMA in 1933. And I know Henri Cartier-Bresson showed there after the war. There were a lot of photography shows at MOMA before Arbus.

Some consider Evans and HCB to be documentary photographers.

So it looks like you have a good shot at MOMA.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep at it Jose,
    they'll come around.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Jose

well, from my limited experience i'd say the galleries need to sell to survive, would your work sell?

anyway, these are extremely strong images, to view your site is to be confronted with aspects of life most of us would rather ignore, your images are way powerful and possibly upsetting

i was moved, amazed, humbled and awestruck, in short, i experienced examples of great art

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your kind comments.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sebastião Salgado is considered one of the most important photographers today.

Some of his images are shown here:
    http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/legends10/

Follow the "BIO" link from where I quote:

"What I want in my pictures is not that they'll look like art objects...They are journalist pictures. All my pictures. No exceptions."

You need to be tenacious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boehm View Post
    Sebastião Salgado is considered one of the most important photographers today.

Some of his images are shown here:
    http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/legends10/

Follow the "BIO" link from where I quote:

"What I want in my pictures is not that they'll look like art objects...They are journalist pictures. All my pictures. No exceptions."

You need to be tenacious.
    of course I'll be... the Salgado's remark amuse me, you know, his work has been criticized because it looks like fashion shots and not photojournalistic... as far as I know Weege was the first real photojournalist that considered his own work as art objects, and I like the Weege's view rather than Salgado's...
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    same old, same old

look up "Illuminations: Women Writing on Photography from the 1850s to the Present" and poke "Abbott" in the search term. Start reading from 203

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    same old, same old

look up "Illuminations: Women Writing on Photography from the 1850s to the Present" and poke "Abbott" in the search term. Start reading from 203
    I found the book and I bought it... as soon as I have it I'll go to page 203. Ahh! Berenice Abbott, great advocate of photojournalism...
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    same old, same old

Suddenly I remember that I have the book "A guide to better photography" by Berenice Abbott, published in 1941, in my library, and that she dedicated a chapter to Documentary Photography, p. 163. So I went to the reading...

...She quotes, among others, Beaumont Newhall "It is important to bear in mind that 'documentary' is an approach rather than an end... He (the photographer) will put into his camera studies something of the emotion he feels toward the problem, for he realizes that this is the most effective way to teach the public he is addressing. After all, is not the root meaning of the word 'document' (docere, 'to teach')?"

Question, if it's possible 'to teach' with some grace, some art?
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jose,

The point I made is that Salgado is a photojournalist and has plenty of gallery representation. Anyone who wants to promote himself in any field of endeavor needs tenacity. Your preference for Weege is, of course, your prerogative, but irrelevant to this discussion. I suspect some of the early photographers, like those in the civil war era, considered their works as art. They were photojournalists. However, I really don’t want to discuss “art;” it’s an endless, non-resolvable argument. Good luck with your career.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin