Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,864   Online: 1121

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Larry, I don't want to go further with this discussion either. I think we are talking about the same thing in the same sense. My previous post was directed to PE (I quoted his post), to point that studying the work of others, and it includes their styles, is, at least to me, not only "admirable" but necessary if you want to know what you are doing. The metaphisics of style is way out of my league.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I ageed with Jose, that my post had a glaring omission that he corrected, which I appreciate.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, leave it to me to run away with it! Show me something simple and I'll figure out how to complicate it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    Ah, leave it to me to run away with it! Show me something simple and I'll figure out how to complicate it!

Larry;

Some of my photos have been published world wide in newspapers, but under the generic USAir Force Photo. So, I'm the unknown photographer, but they are there in my gallery to see. I've suggested that several people look at them, but I have not seen the view count go up.

My philosophy has been, if it looks right, shoot it. I walked all around that Atlas pad and a team agreed, put a camera here, here, etc.... and we ran them flat out at full speed with 70mm film. Then we picked the right frames.

So, for making documents, (not portaiture) of events, just point and shoot as fast as you can and move if possible or use many cameras.

BTW, that was not the optimum frame. That is in the national archives and the one I have is a reject. AAMOF, I rescued it from a waste bin bound for destruction.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron,

I desperately want to see these images, but as you see I'm right now only a "member" and need to subscribe - which, unfortunately, has to take a place in line below a bunch of unexpected and fairly costly dental work! Bummer! However, if they stay there, I'll catch it down the road. Definitely interested.

70mm high speed, huh? I worked in a custom color lab back in about 1970 that did a lot of work for Boeing. I remember one series; it was of a glass of milk. Hundreds of frames, it seemed like, and they wanted a large number printed. I think the milk was sitting on a table during touch and goes, and the document meant to show the displacement with the changes in G. One thing I remember about that job was how unbelieveably boring the pix were. But document they did.

Atlas seems much more interesting, somehow.

L.

As for the methodology, I couldn't agree more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I have one copy of the Journal of High Speed Photography yet in my library. Amazing pictures. We used to use up 1000 ft of 35mm film in about 1 minute in a camera with a gear shift. We still missed events such as liquid hydrogen explosions that we tried at 90 frames / sec (IIRC - been too long ago) but boy did that camera scream.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    ...We used to use up 1000 ft of 35mm film in about 1 minute in a camera with a gear shift. ...
    PE
    It's really amazing what this medium became. A machine like that is in itself almost a moon shot in itself. So, five forward and one reverse?

Shooter
    35mm
    Erich Salomon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    It's really amazing what this medium became. A machine like that is in itself almost a moon shot in itself. So, five forward and one reverse?
    IIRC, 3 forward.

I saw one jam with estar support. It did not snap the film, it tore the teeth off the sprocket drive wheels and then began shooting film out the side. We were up to our knees in 1000 ft of film before anyone could shut it down.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick parker View Post
    Erich Salomon
    Class of his own.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin