Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,958   Online: 918

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've worked on a few projects like this in my day job at a newspaper. JBrunner is exactly right when he says projects like these take on a life of their own and evolve over your time spent on them...that's one reason why it's important not to think yourself out of a good idea.

You had it in your heart to do this - that is what you need to take it on. Don't make the mistake of 'getting in your own way'. Don't over-think it (although DO think about it!)

These people are having their voice (and a whole lot more) taken away from them. You can provide a voice, no matter what becomes of the images. And of course there is the matter of historical record, if nothing else.

Don't think, just do. Trust and believe. Come back in a year or so and look at your images...at that time, you'll know you did the right thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wanted to say that if it was me and I was considering this kind of project I would shoot it on Tri-X. I just love Tri-X. What do you mean the use of Tri-X is totally independent?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njkphoto View Post
    I wanted to say that if it was me and I was considering this kind of project I would shoot it on Tri-X. I just love Tri-X. What do you mean the use of Tri-X is totally independent?
    I mean that pretty much everything in your paragraph up to that that sentence was about what film format to use, not about emulsion selection. The sentence about the emulsion did not follow your argument about film format, and seemed random and out of place. It made it seem as if you equated Tri-X with small format, which is available in all common formats, including 4x5 and larger. It sounded like, "Don't do it on 4x5. Do it on Tri-X instead."
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-19-2010 at 12:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not at all. I did not intent to equate Tri-X with any format, I just wanted to say that it might be easier for the photographer to shoot 35mm (Ijust like Tri-X that is why I mentioned it) and I did not say anything about emulsion. At this point since I am a new member I would like to mention that some of my sentences could be a bit confusing since English is my second language

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The very first idea I had was to show only the people's faces. I figured on using natural light as much as possible, a black backdrop, and a large format camera. Since it's what I already have, I was planning on using a 210mm lens on either 4x5 (which I can shoot now) or 5x7 (which is why I put up the ad - I wanted to source one). I think that 5x7 would be an excellent size for the portraits if I did them this way. The problem is that, if I was going to shoot 5x7 head shots, a 210 may be a little wide...so I thought about sourcing a 300mm. Faces are important to me...expressions on them can tell a lot about a person.

Anyway, I'm working on a concept. I'm going to have Adam sit down for me this weekend and I'm going to shoot with the Mamiya C3 until I can fix up the Speed Graphic to be usable on a Tripod again. I'm heading to the next town over to get some supplies: something to use to secure the Speed to the tripod so that it's usable, a piece of fabric to use as a backdrop, a piece of glass and a piece of wood that I can use as a makeshift contact frame, and a cheap backless stool for people to sit on.

This project is all about me learning how to take a good portrait as well as telling this story. But this is only one way to do things. I'm going to be trying out multiple things before I decide on how to do it. I've gotten some really great ideas from all of you.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    The very first idea I had was to show only the people's faces. I figured on using natural light as much as possible, a black backdrop, and a large format camera. Since it's what I already have, I was planning on using a 210mm lens on either 4x5 (which I can shoot now) or 5x7 (which is why I put up the ad - I wanted to source one). I think that 5x7 would be an excellent size for the portraits if I did them this way. The problem is that, if I was going to shoot 5x7 head shots, a 210 may be a little wide...so I thought about sourcing a 300mm. Faces are important to me...expressions on them can tell a lot about a person.
    This is true, but I would highly recommend face-based portraits be a secondary element rather than the primary. By far, a project like this is screaming for environmental portraits (IMO) - such as 35mm (135) or 80mm (120) focal lengths. If you can photograph the people actually at work, or doing things like hobbies, etc. I think it would be very beneficial.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just discovered this photographer which I think does some amazing portrait work and I think it might help you for your project. Here is the link. http://www.ericamcdonaldphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    ... a piece of glass and a piece of wood that I can use as a makeshift contact frame...
    Just out of curiousity... onto what are you planning to contact print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Was that a rude or stupid question? Just wondering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Was that a rude or stupid question? Just wondering.
    Nah, I think the thread is just winding down.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin