Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,092   Online: 1233

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangefinder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The difference is that there is no lag time in your Leica versus the SLRs!
    Great capture.
    Regards,

Michael
    Dallas, TX

Pentax 6x7
    Mamiya 7 ii
    Mamiya C330
    4x5 and 8x10 large format

And for those non film moments a Fuji X-Pro 1 and Nikon D4 and D800E.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes that is a technical difference but for some subconscious reason both myself and subjects seem to "make" different pictures as well in terms of reaction. Honestly I was not referring to a technical difference. I think my attitude is different in some minor way no matter how hard I try - it just is. And maybe more importantly my subjects seem to be less self conscious - especially if they are not used to being in front of a camera. I know that that would be hard to prove or disprove - just my observations over the years. It is not like I am not there with a camera in both circumstances.

RB

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwboyer View Post
    Yes that is a technical difference but for some subconscious reason both myself and subjects seem to "make" different pictures as well in terms of reaction.
    Trust me, this lack of defined reaction to having an SLR lens pointed at them is something you WANT and a reason to use a RF in these types of situations.

Also, the old cliche "the images should do the talking rather than words" is mostly BS if the image itself is solid. Just provide a short caption and it all becomes clear. In fact, you've already written one in one of your earlier posts.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Trust me, this lack of defined reaction to having an SLR lens pointed at them is something you WANT and a reason to use a RF in these types of situations.

Also, the old cliche "the images should do the talking rather than words" is mostly BS if the image itself is solid. Just provide a short caption and it all becomes clear. In fact, you've already written one in one of your earlier posts.
    Agreed! Now if I could just get used to using those damned clip on finders I could actually use my 21 with some degree of competence. Maybe I'll just stick with the 50 and sell the 21 for the RF ;-)

RB

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwboyer View Post
    Agreed! Now if I could just get used to using those damned clip on finders I could actually use my 21 with some degree of competence. Maybe I'll just stick with the 50 and sell the 21 for the RF ;-)

RB
    If it means anything, RF + wide angle don't work with me that well. There's something about the lack of perspective-accurate viewfinder in a RF that bothers me when working with 24mm and below lenses. With those an SLR works better for me. I like to feel inside the scene and the VF of an SLR with a wide-angle replicates that. I only use my M4 w/ a Summicron 35. Granted there are accessory finders, but it's just another thing to have to worry about.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    If it means anything, RF + wide angle don't work with me that well. There's something about the lack of perspective-accurate viewfinder in a RF that bothers me when working with 24mm and below lenses. With those an SLR works better for me. I like to feel inside the scene and the VF of an SLR with a wide-angle replicates that. I only use my M4 w/ a Summicron 35. Granted there are accessory finders, but it's just another thing to have to worry about.
    My big issue is with the accessory finders - with wides I like to shoot real close and as you know the best light is usually not real bright so I do need to focus - the issue is that I have a really difficult time doing what I use 35 for at all - quick stuff - with the separate focus frame/compose operations I may as well be using a freaking view camera (hyperbole)

RB

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Get rid of the 21 and get a 28. It's perfect for situations like the above picture. My favorite focal length on RF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Weddings are such chemical emotion-bombs, I could never shoot them for a living. I respect those who do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the few weddings that ive shot i wish i could shoot them the way i personally would, and this is it. while i shoot with mostly an slr this is the same kind of stuff i catch myself shooting, and i know the bride and groom dont want it, but its awesome, so much better than a kissing picture!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msk2193 View Post
    The difference is that there is no lag time in your Leica versus the SLRs!
    Great capture.
    And no mirror blackout, either, which is one of my favorite rangefinder attributes. Quieter, too, but not silent or anything.

Rangefinders present a more direct way of interacting with what you're photographing than an SLR. You're looking straight at it, as it appears to the eye, not what its image looks like when projected by the lens. But the difference, which matters to some but not to many others, really isn't all *that* huge. And some people simply prefer the SLR. It certainly has its own set of advantages.

And in general, other photographers are the only onlookers who know/care if you're using an SLR or a rangefinder, digital or film. So if you were doing a documentary about photographers, perhaps that's something you'd need to consider. Otherwise, unless you're toting around something that looks really unusual, like a TLR or a large-format camera, the vast majority of people just register "camera" and nothing more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin