Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,498   Online: 1022

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Yeah, the real dough can be in a stock photograph business on the side.
    well ...
    have you been to stock photo sites lately
    it really isn't too hard to stand out from the crowd ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...how she could combine her passion for writing and photography.
    Combine those two and she'll do very well. Add a few business classes in, and her odds go up again.

Video is great but it's a trend that's passing. Good to have, definitely, but not the saviour of the industry it was once advertised as...people who do well with video do it full time.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your daughter may want to be a "Documentary Photographer". The number of daily newspapers are getting fewer. I agree with Suzanne's advice on perfecting ones craft. A documentuary photographer is like a documentary filmmaker where he or she is interested in long-term documenting on a subject matter. Your daughter could double major in photography and another area of human interest like anthropology. I feel that there's a hunger for publications like books that document different people and their life. For example Marry Ellen Mark and Sebastião Salgado.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dirck Halstead's site is on a hiatus right now, but there's about 10 years worth of archives of interest to PJs: http://www.digitaljournalist.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your daughter may want to be a "Documentary Photographer". .... I feel that there's a hunger for publications like books that document different people and their life. For example Marry Ellen Mark and Sebastião Salgado.
    The only photographers more endangered than photojournalists are documentary photographers (if not stock photographers). Perhaps there is "hunger" but there is no money.

Not trying to dissuade your daughter from practicing photojournalism or documentary photography... but I'm a working newspaper photographer/photojournalist with a ten-year old daughter. She won't be a photographer for a career, if I can help it! I will encourage her to learn and enjoy photography, but strongly steer her away from trying to make a go at to feed her family.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, a quick search of the Popular Photography site leads to some articles that might be of interest to her:
    http://www.popphoto.com/search/popph...20rock%20bands
    Not heavy on the US Labor Dept statistical data, of course.... : )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Google Sean Gallagher, photographer working in China.

Check out the "About" section.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

There are no guarantees

Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    The only photographers more endangered than photojournalists are documentary photographers (if not stock photographers). Perhaps there is "hunger" but there is no money.

Not trying to dissuade your daughter from practicing photojournalism or documentary photography... but I'm a working newspaper photographer/photojournalist with a ten-year old daughter. She won't be a photographer for a career, if I can help it! I will encourage her to learn and enjoy photography, but strongly steer her away from trying to make a go at to feed her family.
    There are no guarantees in a career of course. I think trying to work for a newspaper is going to be tough. I would also suggest along with other college courses that will give her good grant writing skills. Teaching is also an avenue for extra income. I would say be flexible. Don't just see still photography as an only media outlet. Consider video also. I wish her the best of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again I say, everyone here is reinforcing the same things that I have been telling her. I want my children to do what they enjoy and enjoy what they do meaning that if they have an interest and they can pursue it as a career they will be much happier than I am. What parent does not want their children to exceed what they themselves have done. I want only for her to do better than I have and to be happy doing it. The problem lies with balancing what will pay the bills with what makes you happy and that can be a precarious line to walk. If I remember correctly, I think that Suzanne was on Analogue Photography Radio and I could not wait to get my daughter to listen to it but as is usual with teenagers, she could not be bothered. I believe that she enamored with the "romance" of band photography and not so much with the reality of the job. I tell her that if she really wanted to be a photographer she would have a camera with her at all times and film to go in it but she can't be bothered. I love her dearly but she drives me crazy
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PM Rob Skeoch.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin