Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,354   Online: 854

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has she had any prior experience in photojournalism?

If not, then perhaps she would benefit from beginning right now. Rather than hoping and waiting to convince someone to accept her into an academic program or apprenticeship, just begin the journey by taking the first step on her own initiative.

Now days it's easy to self-publish anything on the web. Perhaps she should look around her for a few interesting human interest stories just waiting to be told. Something she feels passionately about. Then pick one and start telling that story as a self-assigned project. It might be band related, or it might not.*

She will discover very quickly the demands of the process. It will be hard work. She'll experience successes and failures. It will become far more than just clicking the shutter. She'll need to do research. She'll need to explain herself to strangers - and convince them to give access and cooperation. She'll learn to change direction when the story turns out to be something different than she had at first thought. She'll have to fight to produce something of interest and lasting quality.

And after all that, she'll learn to boil down her raw material - both images and the written word - into a coherent presentation. Then create and present an online layout that communicates what she wants to say to her audience. And finally, listen carefully to that audience's reactions, both good and bad.

When finished she should be in a much better position to decide for herself if this is a direction she wishes to follow. At best she'll have found a calling and have something significant to show a prospective school or employer. And at worst she will have simply discovered that it's not the life for her, thus allowing her to move on.

Ken

* There are stories everywhere just waiting to be told. Just off the top of my head, how many times has she seen those impromptu side-of-the-road memorials commemorating past automobile accidents? Often they have small, family-placed crosses, some flowers, and maybe a flag or candle - and a name. There must be 50+ in my county alone. Each of these is a story waiting to be told in both pictures and words. Taken together those individual stories might make a very interesting photojournalism project, I would think.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    she is more enamored with the perceived romance of band photography.
    Yeah...the romance of dealing with shifty, dodgy types who'll take images, use them without permission and pay squat (if anything at all).

Message to the daughter: there's a big difference between hanging out with a band and working with a band. By all means - hang out, have fun, enjoy the tunes. Maybe take a picture or two, why not. But if you get the urge to knock your head against a brick wall, flush money down the toilet and have people disrespect/steal/lie about your hard-won images, there's surely a better way than by getting bands mixed up in it.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format

Local Paper Entertainment Section

So,,, why not offer the local small newspaper a short article and a couple of pics of a band coming to town in a week or two?

We're in a town of 60K, with several small winerys with bands on the weekends. A few pic's, small writeup, and a follow up writeup afterwords might get your foot in the door. Might even get the winery (or whatever) to get in the habit of using you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Harold Evans' "Pictures on a page" is an excellent book on the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Give her time, she'll grow out of it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Yeah...the romance of dealing with shifty, dodgy types who'll take images, use them without permission and pay squat (if anything at all).
    Yea,,, you've never seen sleazy till you've done a horse show. Good experience, kept photography as a hobby ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post

Message to the daughter: there's a big difference between hanging out with a band and working with a band. By all means - hang out, have fun, enjoy the tunes. Maybe take a picture or two, why not. But if you get the urge to knock your head against a brick wall, flush money down the toilet and have people disrespect/steal/lie about your hard-won images, there's surely a better way than by getting bands mixed up in it.

i shot a band early this past summer.
    i gave them the images for free
    and they gave me a cd and stickers ...
    i get the by-line and a mention in the liner notes.

sometimes you just gotta realize bands are broke
    and its kind of fun just to give stuff away ...
    its like doing the wedding for a friend at.

i wouldn't try to make a living out of that though.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am member of all cinematography lists , forums I have ever found and everyone is talking about how they paid 45000 to RED camera or is 20000 dollars is good for russian optics.
    I think obtaining a cinema cameraman degree can carry her to Hollywood , Bollywood , Hong Kong Cinema. I think film retouching , effects creating is another branch and if some university teach that stuff , there is no hunger.
    My university friend got Nuclear Engineering degree than Architecture degree and become foremost Video Jockey . All he does is to find programmers for processing software and than copy paste MIT ideas and make a short animation. This is another way to tell with visuals.
    If she wants to write her story , linguistics is another branch to study for but she can find herself as a high school teacher at the end.
    I think BEST way to obtain money from visuals is to join hollywood 3D cinema hardware , software expert courses. It is no ending investment on learning new softwares , hardwares courses but great fun.
    So engineering , electrical or electronics can make her boat safe
    I think send her to a 3D movie and ask her does she want to the same
    Photographing , portrait work for famous peoples is another branch
    I think sending her to psychologist can help her to thinking wiser.

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Assignment due in by December??......If only all photojournalists had that amount of time to complete an assignment!!!!.

Lesson 1. Editors always want your pictures in by yesterday!

I echo the above comments re. video rather than stills being desired. you have to understand that the printed media is dying, and the demand is now for web based material. For this medium, video clips are preferred. they can always grab a still frame from that if needed, unlike in the printed media, the stills quality doesn't have to be that good.

You say your daughter wants to photograph bands etc.?...I don't know what the situation is there, but here in the UK, the paparazzi mob have that area sewn up for themselves.

The pay within the profession here (in UK) used to be good, but now it is not, you'd earn more as a bus driver!....The reason being, there are simply too many trying to get on the bandwagon, and the powers that be take advantage of that. I'm afraid the onset of digital has "de-skilled" the profession...i.e. you no longer need to be techically proficient in photographic technique to get an "acceptable" result.

I tend to agree with the previous comment to "point your daughter in a different direction".....The competition is fierce in a rapidly dwindling market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    Harold Evans' "Pictures on a page" is an excellent book on the subject.

This was a superb book on the subject in its day. Problem is "its day", was the pre-digital 1970's, when photojournalism was still a major influence, in the world of newspapers.

Sadly, this is no longer the case today.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin