Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,668   Online: 894

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    As a millennial, I think newspapers are going to become like analog photography or vinyl records: a niche but strong market for the true enthusiasts. We're in the digital transition period for news, where people who read the newspaper because it was the only option are abandoning the medium, leaving the core who truly enjoy the medium for its own sake. Newspapers will have to become smaller as their markets shrink, but if they are clever, they will scale to their audience (and tailor their content to their audience). Here in Houston, there is a local newspaper/current events mag called Free Press which is wildly successful and has almost 100% readership among the hip young things. It's free to pick up, which is a difference, but it, like the old grey ladies, is supported mainly by ads.

I think there's an opportunity for the quality of journalism to INCREASE, but only if the newspapers are spun off from the giant lobby-funding conglomerates they're currently owned by, and taken up by people who care about actual journalism and who appreciate the hedonic value of reading an honest-to-god newspaper. There will obviously still have to be a web presence, but the two can be done as a value-added proposition, the way modern indie record companies give you a code for a free digital download when you buy the vinyl album.

Subscribe to the physical paper, get free online access with the iPhone app.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    APUG doesn't even show up in google unless you specifically search for it by name.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-12 at 7.45.14 PM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	68617

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Newspapers are in decline, but it is not all solely to do with the quality of photography. It has to do with traditional print advertising falling and which will continue to fall, affecting revenue and thus the future of newspapers as we know it.

In our house we do not read newspapers in their print form, but on the web, in the electronic form. As circulation drops away, it will at some point in the future not be economical or sensible to continue print production and everything will shift to the web. Makes sense: less consumables, less ink, less waste of print chemicals into the environment.

Might be a UK-centric thing; photographs in papers in Australia can still rouse the spirit and many of the photographers have been in the game a long, long time. It's the amateurs with their flash-in-the-pan digitals submitting what they think to be "today's best catch" that often defiles the quality of well established (in terms of image quality) benchmarks for traditional newspapers. Fortunately editors know a fail when they see it.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Newspapers are in decline, but it is not all solely to do with the quality of photography.[/QUOTE
    I'd argue it has almost nothing to do with the photography.
    QUOTE=Poisson Du Jour;1497099]In our house we do not read newspapers in their print form, but on the web, in the electronic form.
    For free right? That's the problem in a nutshell.
    I'm an Australian press photographer of 20 years, although recently left the game.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sharperstill View Post
    For free right? That's the problem in a nutshell.
    I'm an Australian press photographer of 20 years, although recently left the game.

Jon

Yes. And guess who is promoting that free reading? Why, the newspapers themselves. It does strike me as silly but it seems this is going to be the way of the future. I suspect at some point reading the online "papers" will be by subscription only, as per the Melbourne Herald-Sun (though not all content is subscriber only).

There are a few serving and retired photographers around here from the local and State rags. A couple have found their niche in landscape work.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Time for a return to news groups and magazines. The central control of google is scary..
    You are accusing Google of manipulating the search results to ensure bias against APUG. I disagree.

An uneducated user who typed "film photography group" or "analog photography" or "photographic film group" into Google would see APUG either at the top of the results or not far from it. e.g. here, here and here

Shooter
    Large Format
    I ended up signing up on apug because in my google searches to find credible answers, I kept being directed back here. Look at some of the other photographic chat sites. There are some very smart people on this one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In Australia it's going to be tough for News Ltd & Fairfax to convince apple to pay for news online when they will always be able o get it for free from the ABC and SBS.

J

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin