Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,660   Online: 867

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

100 year old color photographs of Russia

Take a look at these remarkable images of Russian taken with 3 shots of BW exposures.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...ntury_ago.html

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    LOC popped this up some time ago:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't know that. But your link is more informative than mine. Thanks a bunch!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Didn't know that. But your link is more informative than mine. Thanks a bunch!
    Interesting process and amazing shots. Did you see this 40s-50s Kodachrome circus collection?

http://tempest.lib.ilstu.edu/braathen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I did. Some of the shots were from WWII. The shots looked as fresh as the day they were shot. Amazing. Some were 4x5 Kodachromes if I remember correctly.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I think I did. Some of the shots were from WWII. The shots looked as fresh as the day they were shot. Amazing. Some were 4x5 Kodachromes if I remember correctly.
    The circus collection is very different, not the WWII homefront propaganda shots in wide circulation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link, interesting to watch.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The composition of the Russian images are terrific. This feller understood rule of thirds and other artistic composition criteria. I wonder if he studied art?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a book of his photographs and they are truly amazing considering all these pictures were shot before the Russian Revolution in October 1917.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The composition of the Russian images are terrific. This feller understood rule of thirds and other artistic composition criteria. I wonder if he studied art?
    He was a chemist and inventor in the field of photography, see the Library of Congress page CGW pointed out:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin