Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,203   Online: 850
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    ted_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    uk
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    396
    Images
    1

    Shooting weddings or similar pressure situations with Hasselblad film backs

    Curious to know if anyone here shoots weddings using a 501CM with film backs?

    I am loving my Hasselblad 501CM but am finding changing rolls every 12 shots to be a little tricky, especially when under pressure. I've not used it for a wedding or anything like that, yet, but if the opportunity arises, I intend to do so.

    When I got married, back in 2002, the photographer used a Hasselblad (though I don't know what sort - I didn't know much about MF then) and seemed to have no problem taking the 250 shots we'd agreed in advance. He may well have had a stash of pre-loaded backs but for 250 he must have had 20 backs!! Surely not? Having looked up the cost of second hand backs, they're about £350-£450 each!

    Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    36
    Hi Ted,

    I would assume he would have had 2-4 backs and an assistant to change rolls while he was shooting?

    Hendrik

  3. #3
    ted_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    uk
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    396
    Images
    1
    No, he was on his own!
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

  4. #4
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,302
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    I have buddies that came from the days when MF cameras were the cameras of choice for Weddings, it is fun to here them talk of being sent out with two rolls of 120 and being told not to shoot it all, I'm not suggesting that.

    Typically weddings are hurry up and wait affairs. Just load during the waits and have enough backs to get through each hurry up.

    If you know basically what shots you really want in each hurry up and when they will be, you can plan for that plus a bit extra.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  5. #5
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,429
    He was most probably using 220 film in A24 backs.
    Ben

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    297
    I shot weddings on MF for years initially just using a Mamiya C330f before moving on to a Hasselblad 500CM. I usually shot 5x rolls of Fuji NSP160 (60 images) in the later periods I pretty much exclusively used 120 sized Fuji Reala.

    There were no film backs for the Mamiya C330f and I learnt to change films pretty quickly. RH suit pocket for unused films and LH suit pocket for used. I opened each film from its box and foil packaging before I got to the wedding so all I had to do was undo the sealing strip and insert into camera.

    When I got the Hasselblad, I was spoilt with having 2x A12 backs which made life a little easier but you could not always guarantee that they would not run out at an inopportune moment.

  7. #7
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,444
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    it is fun to here them talk of being sent out with two rolls of 120 and being told not to shoot it all
    For my father's first wedding sent out on his own, he was given ten glass plates and told not to waste any.

    Is it possible that your wedding photographer also used 35mm, just using the Hasselblad for the posed shots which he thought would be ordered in larger sizes?


    Steve.

  8. #8
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,302
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    For my father's first wedding sent out on his own, he was given ten glass plates and told not to waste any.

    Is it possible that your wedding photographer also used 35mm, just using the Hasselblad for the posed shots which he thought would be ordered in larger sizes?

    Steve.
    Jose Villa mixes MF and 35mm as you suggest Steve, I think that is a great way of working.

    The other thing he does that I think is really smart is that when he sees something happen that he thinks is important, but he can't quite get the shot he wants as it happens, he'll ask for a re-do.

    I'm not saying he stops the ceremony to get a shot, just that the photographer's job is to get the shots the couple wants. The PJ mentality in style today has forgotten that to a large extent.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  9. #9
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I shot weddings on MF for years initially just using a Mamiya C330f before moving on to a Hasselblad 500CM. I usually shot 5x rolls of Fuji NSP160 (60 images) in the later periods I pretty much exclusively used 120 sized Fuji Reala.

    There were no film backs for the Mamiya C330f and I learnt to change films pretty quickly. RH suit pocket for unused films and LH suit pocket for used. I opened each film from its box and foil packaging before I got to the wedding so all I had to do was undo the sealing strip and insert into camera.

    When I got the Hasselblad, I was spoilt with having 2x A12 backs which made life a little easier but you could not always guarantee that they would not run out at an inopportune moment.
    I used to shoot weddings with a pair of Mamiya C330f's and used Kodak Vericolor 220 film I preloaded the cameras before going to the gig which gave me 48 shots before needing to change films which was plenty for the actual wedding as well as giving me a back up camera in case of mechanical failure, and I could change the films in the time allowed after the wedding and before the reception.
    Ben

  10. #10
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Curious to know if anyone here shoots weddings using a 501CM with film backs?

    I am loving my Hasselblad 501CM but am finding changing rolls every 12 shots to be a little tricky, especially when under pressure. I've not used it for a wedding or anything like that, yet, but if the opportunity arises, I intend to do so.

    When I got married, back in 2002, the photographer used a Hasselblad (though I don't know what sort - I didn't know much about MF then) and seemed to have no problem taking the 250 shots we'd agreed in advance. He may well have had a stash of pre-loaded backs but for 250 he must have had 20 backs!! Surely not? Having looked up the cost of second hand backs, they're about £350-£450 each!

    Ted
    Ted, where are you getting the prices for your A12 backs from Harvey Nichols , look at Ffords you can get an Ex ++ one for £99 and a Ex+ one for £79 with their six months warranty. http://www.ffordes.co.uk/category/Me...Film_Magazines
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-07-2012 at 09:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin