Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,757   Online: 924

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I can't say that I know anyone who shoots on film anymore for weddings, the last person I should saw shooting film for weddings, was an old photographer that shot my cousins wedding back in 2007
    You don't know anyone because you haven't looked. For example the Kirk Mastin who owns his own Fuji Frontier to scan film. Or the Brothers Wright who do also do stuff like polaroid photo booths or Super 8 wedding films. Or Jose Villa who is one of the most sought-after wedding photographers in the world. Etc etc.

I don't even SHOOT weddings and I've heard of all these guys. If you are offering paid services in that market you might want to find out what your competition (other than the shoot and dump style of photogrpaher) is doing and how much they are charging. For example Mastin charges 7-9K for a typical wedding I am sure the others are all charging a ton.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    You don't know anyone because you haven't looked. For example the Kirk Mastin who owns his own Fuji Frontier to scan film. Or the Brothers Wright who do also do stuff like polaroid photo booths or Super 8 wedding films. Or Jose Villa who is one of the most sought-after wedding photographers in the world. Etc etc.

I don't even SHOOT weddings and I've heard of all these guys. If you are offering paid services in that market you might want to find out what your competition (other than the shoot and dump style of photogrpaher) is doing and how much they are charging. For example Mastin charges 7-9K for a typical wedding I am sure the others are all charging a ton.
    Yea obviously if I were charging that much, I could offer a lot more services haha

I don't at all seek out wedding shoots... people come to me and ask me to do it and I reluctantly agree... I shoot about 3-5 weddings a year just on word of mouth... I dislike shooting weddings so I refuse to make it my main gig... I only charge $2,000 and I bring myself and a second shooter whom also does weddings on the side and is an excellent wedding photographer, and she and I shoot the wedding, she gives me her card, I go through all the images, edit, crop, whatever, and give the images to the bride and groom, 2 versions... the printable versions up to like 11x14 sized, and watermarked images that I give them for Facebook posting and other online posting purposes... and I do this through Dropbox... I don't even offer them a CD, I don't offer them a wedding album ... if they want to pay extra for those things, that's fine, I don't seek them out and I don't try and convince them I'm better somehow, I just make it simple for them, and some people like that. If they want me to make professional prints, I will, if not, they can go to walgreens, hardly anyone who hires me even prints their images at all, they only care about Facebook "albums" ... its a younger crowd that hire me, the 20-30 year olds... and not the successful banker types ... just normal folk... that's fine with me...

yes if I charged $7k for a wedding, I could do a whole lot more ... but a lot of people don't even have $7k in their wedding budget .... these are real people ... not 1%ers... lol

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yea obviously if I were charging that much, I could offer a lot more services haha

I don't at all seek out wedding shoots... people come to me and ask me to do it and I reluctantly agree... I shoot about 3-5 weddings a year just on word of mouth... I dislike shooting weddings so I refuse to make it my main gig... I only charge $2,000 and I bring myself and a second shooter whom also does weddings on the side and is an excellent wedding photographer, and she and I shoot the wedding, she gives me her card, I go through all the images, edit, crop, whatever, and give the images to the bride and groom, 2 versions... the printable versions up to like 11x14 sized, and watermarked images that I give them for Facebook posting and other online posting purposes... and I do this through Dropbox... I don't even offer them a CD, I don't offer them a wedding album ... if they want to pay extra for those things, that's fine, I don't seek them out and I don't try and convince them I'm better somehow, I just make it simple for them, and some people like that. If they want me to make professional prints, I will, if not, they can go to walgreens, hardly anyone who hires me even prints their images at all, they only care about Facebook "albums" ... its a younger crowd that hire me, the 20-30 year olds... and not the successful banker types ... just normal folk... that's fine with me...

yes if I charged $7k for a wedding, I could do a whole lot more ... but a lot of people don't even have $7k in their wedding budget .... these are real people ... not 1%ers... lol
    There's that 1 percenter bit again. I'm not into the narrative, so I don't get it. But I've been seeing that reference ever since it seemed to ride up on the same horse with you-know-who. I'll be glad when the narrative has moved on.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    There's that 1 percenter bit again. I'm not into the narrative, so I don't get it. But I've been seeing that reference ever since it seemed to ride up on the same horse with you-know-who. I'll be glad when the narrative has moved on.
    I don't know who?

The 1% is a reference to the 1% earners ... as in those who make up the top wealth in the country, the top 1% highest earners of money in the country. It's essentially a reference to the super rich people.

In this reference I'm sort of joking, because those people would probably pay more like $70,000 for a wedding photographer, but you get the idea. "Normal" people, could not afford a $7,000 wedding photography bill, unless they either had wealthy benefactors, or were really foolish with what they chose to spend their money on (big wedding, small ring) LOL.

Anyway, the 1% term was used most often by the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, to which I was a part of because my friend Mark Ruffalo was always talking about it on set and he would go down there and support them, his big thing is Anti-Fracking, but he also supported the Occupy movement while he was filming in NYC when they were all tented up that past winter.

Anyway, hope that explains a few things.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know who?

The 1% is a reference to the 1% earners ... as in those who make up the top wealth in the country, the top 1% highest earners of money in the country. It's essentially a reference to the super rich people.

In this reference I'm sort of joking, because those people would probably pay more like $70,000 for a wedding photographer, but you get the idea. "Normal" people, could not afford a $7,000 wedding photography bill, unless they either had wealthy benefactors, or were really foolish with what they chose to spend their money on (big wedding, small ring) LOL.

Anyway, the 1% term was used most often by the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, to which I was a part of because my friend Mark Ruffalo was always talking about it on set and he would go down there and support them, his big thing is Anti-Fracking, but he also supported the Occupy movement while he was filming in NYC when they were all tented up that past winter.

Anyway, hope that explains a few things.
    Stone... you're an alright kid. No disparagement meant by that term. I've got a nephew screwing around on his college education with that fad. I'll refrain from the politics of it here. But I saw pretty much the same silliness in the 60's. I was only 10 and onwards from the mid 60's, so the grown kids high school and beyond were getting swept up in that "movement". I was too young to be swept into it. I thought they were screwy. I still think so. Same crowd, different decade. There's no new ideas there. You've seemed to have found quite a photographic background. Shows learning skill and perseverance. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of that crowd. They're idiots. You're better than that. Were it not so, I would not have bothered to tell you. Carry on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll refrain from the politics of it here.
    That would be a first. Frankly, I'm tired of your political crap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would be surprised at how much more money wedding photographers often used to make on middle income weddings as compared to the weddings of the wealthy.

In the 1970s and 1980s, I certainly had weddings where the package plus print orders that exceeded $2,000.00, and I did some work with studios that frequently had $5,000.00 "files".

Almost none of those people were wealthy, although a fair number of them had large families.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    That would be a first. Frankly, I'm tired of your political crap.
    Friend, I was talking to Stone. Let's just say I "get" the guy. I think he's a straight shooter. Just somebody you seem to want to encourage. You read into it whatever you're bound to. Cultivating respect is not easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Friend, I was talking to Stone. Let's just say I "get" the guy. I think he's a straight shooter. Just somebody you seem to want to encourage. You read into it whatever you're bound to. Cultivating respect is not easy.
    If you want to have a private conversation with Stone, PM him. If you continue to try to slip in your political views, publicly, expect responses. You've done it often, and it has no place here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    If you want to have a private conversation with Stone, PM him. If you continue to try to slip in your political views, publicly, expect responses. You've done it often, and it has no place here.
    My Political views: Treat people with geniality, be honest, mind your responsibilities. What is read into that politically is beyond my control. Sure does seem to ruffle a lot of feathers these days though. Some people are like a bottle of warm nitro. Cool off. I don't like political altercations any more than the moderators. These days you can't scratch your ear without some PC type pointing fingers on some infraction. Happy Thanksgiving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin