Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,091   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    You need to read your posts before hitting the reply button. There are people who still shoot weddings on film (I'm asked at least once, or twice, a month), and I sincerely doubt they'd appreciate being called fools.
    Also shooting weddings on film is making a big come back my daughter wanted hers shot on film, im going to shoot as many as i can in between my doing bit in the wedding, i thought about putting my Rollei 35 in my pocket as i walk her down the isle but i dont think it would go down well ive got enough putting up with the ex

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Did one wedding 40 yrs. ago, never again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    I'm with Benjiboy, I don't need the stress and I don't need the money.
    I think today, you'd end up with a lot of pictures of the backs of peoples' hands, holding up their I-Phones right in front of you, to make sure they got that important picture they wanted. Their rudeness at times is startling.
    Yes, the Nokia ad isn't far off there. It's an almost free for all. I dont know how chaotic the weddings over there are;
    The average 2 day wedding here in India - 4-5 if up North, are very very hectic. And given that everyone else is trying to be 'in the frame' at the important times there's just too much CO2 floating around the ritual fires.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    You know? The expectations thing is what really bothers me. They want a whole bunch of digital files, quality be damned, to send to their friends.
    Yup. My love for pictures and black and white photos comes from having seen my parents n grandparents albums - candids, wedding albums etc., I cannot believe people dont pay attention to quality -this isn't some party that gets hosted every Sunday, but about a once in a lifetime (hopefully) event!

I see people showing wedding albums printed by graphic designers than photographers. And the needless hankering and 'you'll fix it in Photoshop' attitude.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I used to enjoy weddings.

I'd shoot them on film (120 and square format). My clients would pay 1/2 up front, with the other 1/2 due with the instructions as to what was to be included in the package price album.

I'd shoot about 8-10 rolls of 12 exposure 120 for most weddings.

I had my lab develop and do 5" x 5" proofs.

I would take the proofs, label them with roll and negative numbers and edit out any obvious culls. I would then deliver them to the newly married couple along with instructions about what I needed to make up the album they had agreed to buy, as well as order sheets for extra enlargements which could easily be shared with friends and relatives.

Typically, the newly married couple would have the proofs in hand about two weeks after the wedding.

For an extra fee they were entitled to buy all or some of the proofs. My lab did a great job on the proofs, so they would often sell.

My albums were expandable. I frequently had people decide afterwards to buy more enlargements and expand the size of the album.

Once people decided (with my help) which photos were to be included in their album, I would usually have the completed album back to them in 2-3 weeks.

I never discouraged other people at the wedding from taking their own photos. I frequently saw their results. I still sold extra prints, at a decent profit.
    Sounds like a very good model. Did you shoot with assistants?
    How did you manage others getting in the way?

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Sounds like a very good model. Did you shoot with assistants?
    How did you manage others getting in the way?

Sent from Tap-a-talk
    No assistants per se, but I would often draft guests (family or friends) to help with rounding up people and identification of who was who.

Teenage cousins were frequently excellent.

And the trick to keeping others out of the way was to give them times when I wasn't shooting.

I can be persuasive in groups .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I would guess it's way different now

Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    Did one wedding 40 yrs. ago, never again.
    Now there are too many wedding photographers and I think people aren't as civil as they were 4 decades ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    2/3 is probably a bent statistic as everyone that married and still lives is being counted against this years marriages if they divorce.
    However as to a potential revenue streams.. Several possibles cross the evil slope of the mindscape.
    Shot one wedding for relatives on the in-law side. Photos may have lasted longer than the marriage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since most peoples only contact with professional photography is at their and other peoples weddings, the popular perception is that you aren't a proper photographer unless you do them and that it validates your status and ability if you do.
    I.M.O. the first question you should ask yourself as a novice before accepting a paying wedding is "what am I going to do if it all goes wrong and the brides parents sue me ? ", and even if you do it for free for close friends or family whatever they say before the wedding they will still have expectations of a competent job in my experience.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I used to enjoy weddings.

I'd shoot them on film (120 and square format). My clients would pay 1/2 up front, with the other 1/2 due with the instructions as to what was to be included in the package price album.

I'd shoot about 8-10 rolls of 12 exposure 120 for most weddings.

I had my lab develop and do 5" x 5" proofs.

I would take the proofs, label them with roll and negative numbers and edit out any obvious culls. I would then deliver them to the newly married couple along with instructions about what I needed to make up the album they had agreed to buy, as well as order sheets for extra enlargements which could easily be shared with friends and relatives.

Typically, the newly married couple would have the proofs in hand about two weeks after the wedding.

For an extra fee they were entitled to buy all or some of the proofs. My lab did a great job on the proofs, so they would often sell.

My albums were expandable. I frequently had people decide afterwards to buy more enlargements and expand the size of the album.

Once people decided (with my help) which photos were to be included in their album, I would usually have the completed album back to them in 2-3 weeks.

I never discouraged other people at the wedding from taking their own photos. I frequently saw their results. I still sold extra prints, at a decent profit.
    This is how it was done by the studio I worked for. They where established outfit and taught me the correct way for approaching a wedding, worked for allmost a year with the owner as his assistant before doing them by myself. His wife would allso sit me down to look over the photo's that I had taken the week before and give me pointers and allso complements . After 1 year I was prepared for most any circumstance to be encountered in most weddings which really helped my confidence and creativity. This was from the late 70's threw the 80's using film of course.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin