Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,031   Online: 997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Never haf such an issue, but I was thinking, could it be that your step-up rings cause heavy vignetting on one part of the image with your lens. I would say the shape of the cone is not large enough for a wide-angle lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't think it's the step-up rings as I just put a test roll using the same lens, step-up rings and ND filter on an F90x (instead of the Nikon F3 in question) and it was absolutely fine.

The link I sent was more of a reference rather than the actual step-up ring setup I have. After some testing, other than when using on a 24mm lens, the step up rings are OK.

The problem, it seems, is the Nikon F3 body. I did various test shots and took out some factors and introduced others to see the results. I think my F3 is in need of a CLA...

I will be switching to an F90x in the meanwhile. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One way to tell if it is the shutter is the problem is to take some test shots with no lens on the camera. Just point it at a blank wall and use enough light to get the shutter speed you want.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My F3 did the same thing. It's the shutter. Time for service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it is the shutter, as several say -- what is happening is the channel in which the first curtain slides has gotten dirty and the curtain is dragging slightly, letting the second curtain catch up with it halfway across.

CLA and adjustment is the cure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks folks. Looks like CLA is... well, the answer in this case.
    I read somewhere that Nikon is enforcing that all Nikon work to be done by Nikon themselves (and independent techs can't do any work)? Is this the case? Or maybe I misread?
    Anyways, I will probably have to send this to Nikon but curious if there are any specialty techs who work on Nikon F3's who do some fabulous work? I've heard of Erik for Pentax and John H for Olympus OM....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They just won't sell parts to "nobodies" anymore. I used to be able to call Nikon parts dept and order.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin