Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,289   Online: 834

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I love weddings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I've never shot a wedding, I can't comment from experience... but... a year ago or so I was in shop where a woman came in and told about her experiences as a wedding photographer and how she no longer considered it fun to do, because nowadays, by the time that you, as the professional wedding photographer (whether analog or d*****l) present your photos, the married couple is completely stumped by already having to go through hundreds of d*****l photos taken with cell phones, pocket cameras, mini cams and the like...

Shooter
    35mm
    Different people enjoy different challenges. Weddings are neither thankless jobs nor stressful when you do it right, and just like any other form of photography, there are many flavors of "right". 35mm is perfectly adequate for many, many weddings so I don't understand how that makes one a poor photographer, nor does a small selection of lenses. Gear is worthless without skill, and with skill, even limited gear can do a fine job.

Whether we realize it or not, photography has been cheapened by digital. While we go about perfecting our chosen craft with film there are simple P&S digital cameras that take what most people consider "better" pictures. In the end it's the consumer who decides what is good. Just like brides do. They may actually prefer the (gasp!) digital picture aunt Mary took to the Hasselblad photo you took. Show those same two photos to bride X and she'll go gaga over the film shots.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    35mm is perfectly adequate for many, many weddings so I don't understand how that makes one a poor photographer.
    I agree. Mine was shot on 35mm. I didn't want any poster size prints done so it was fine.

In fact, I now own the camera which was used for my wedding. A Nikon F601.

It belonged to the wedding photographer who my father used to work for who shot my wedding for free - a very good price!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Different people enjoy different challenges. Weddings are neither thankless jobs nor stressful when you do it right, and just like any other form of photography, there are many flavors of "right". 35mm is perfectly adequate for many, many weddings so I don't understand how that makes one a poor photographer, nor does a small selection of lenses. Gear is worthless without skill, and with skill, even limited gear can do a fine job.

Whether we realize it or not, photography has been cheapened by digital. While we go about perfecting our chosen craft with film there are simple P&S digital cameras that take what most people consider "better" pictures. In the end it's the consumer who decides what is good. Just like brides do. They may actually prefer the (gasp!) digital picture aunt Mary took to the Hasselblad photo you took. Show those same two photos to bride X and she'll go gaga over the film shots.
    I pretty much agree with Wolfeye. Up until a couple of years ago, I shot around 10 to 15 weddings a year. I wanted my weekends back so I replaced the weddings with other commercial work....some of which has ended up having to be shot on weekends anyway, darn it all! But all-in-all, if done right, the whole wedding photography experience (like anything else) can be a good experience and profitable. And, several of my past wedding clients still call me for photo shoots (family portraits, various events, work related subjects, etc.) and have become life-long friends. It's all about how we're built and outlook.

Marc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, I wore black as well. Whaddya think it means? JJ. There's no better way to be. Just got an Aletta 4x5 and getting a 140mm f11 for Father's Day. WoooooHooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just got back from doing a wedding - not as a photographer but as a minister.
    As is the unfortunate custom, the bride was late, but just before she arrived the photographer turned up - a young woman (I guess) in her mid twenties, dressed to the nines but with a tripod and a couple of digicams.
    As far as I could tell she did a reasonable job - that is she did not get in my way or generally be a nuisance.
    After the service as I was clearing up she was fiddling with one of her cameras and I passed the usual pleasantry that goes on between priest and wedding photographer - that is ' well I've finished with them now good luck for the rest of the day' - or something like that. Well we had a short chat where she said that today was her first church wedding and, by the way, she hoped that I did not mind her taking her shoes off. I then noticed that her shoes had some very significant stiletto heels! She must have been in agony.
    I wished her well and she tottered off for the rest of her assignment.
    Perhaps at college it should have been mentioned that comfortable shoes are an essential part of your kit.
    I also wonder what style of shoe would go with what brand of camera - polished brogues with a Leica, hush-puppies with battered old Rolleiflex...

Jack

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a wedding to shoot too, Saturday. All digital. The bride expressed desire to do some B&W shots on film, so I brought my Pentax 645 - but we ran out of time. I had an engagement shoot last Saturday where I did bring, and shoot, some Acros, but guess what? Got their first order on Wednesday and they bought not a single B&W image.

Why can't people who don't appreciate B&W simply say so, instead of saying "Sure that might be nice." when I ask if they'd like some B&W images shot on film? My own fault. I should be silent unless they bring up film instead of pushing it like a pimp with only one ho.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Since I've never shot a wedding, I can't comment from experience... but... a year ago or so I was in shop where a woman came in and told about her experiences as a wedding photographer and how she no longer considered it fun to do, because nowadays, by the time that you, as the professional wedding photographer (whether analog or d*****l) present your photos, the married couple is completely stumped by already having to go through hundreds of d*****l photos taken with cell phones, pocket cameras, mini cams and the like...
    I haven't found that to be the case in the first few that I have done, but to be fair, I have I followed a couple of practices to make sure of that from the git go.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I am now officially retired

My brother got married yesterday. The day was great. Things moved along smoothly. Due in great part to my expertise, I might say. No, I am not supergeust. I was the photographer. It fell on me (as it was a small wedding) to pin on the boutineers, announce the bridal party at the reception, tell the first time minister that in future he should insist no flash photography during the ceremony, generally keep things moving and, I'm missing something, um, oh yeah! I was the shutterbug as well.

It was a good day and I must say I nailed it to a T. But it was my baby brother's wedding and I couldn't be just a guest. I do not want to be the family member that everyone turns to and says 'Hey, bring your camera so I don't have to afford someone I'm not related to.' As I said I was happy to do it. But never again. For anyone. I am now officially retired from wedding photography. Now gimme a piece'a damn cake!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    With everyone getting out of wedding photography, looks like it might be a pretty good time to get in!

Not really. I'm sure for every quality photographer that calls it quits, there are thousands of college kids with DSLRs that will do it for $100 and spend 13 hours 'shopping out Uncle Ted.

I haven't found that to be the case in the first few that I have done, but to be fair, I have I followed a couple of practices to make sure of that from the git go.
    I'm curious as to what practices these are.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin