Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,524   Online: 1024

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I love weddings

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I did 2 of them here in Brazil, and I like it.
    It is not something that I am after though, but still.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    My first wedding this year will be on Father's Day. It's an indoor-outdoor, non-church affair, at a local park. Not too stressful, but they do want a roll of 645 B&W. I'd normally shoot Acros without hesitation but I'm thinking Tmax 400 will give me the flexibility to shoot more indoor shots without flash. I'll be scouting the location tomorrow.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm shooting my cousin's wedding next month. A very casual thing; registry office then the local pub. It'll be the couple and their parents only - if it was any bigger, I'd have said no. I'm going to use Pro400H if it's sunny and Superia 400 is it's overcast (a tip I read here on APUG, I think). In the evening at the pub (more guests then) I'm going to use Delta 3200 in the Muj II to get some nice candid snaps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    With everyone getting out of wedding photography, looks like it might be a pretty good time to get in!

Not really. I'm sure for every quality photographer that calls it quits, there are thousands of college kids with DSLRs that will do it for $100 and spend 13 hours 'shopping out Uncle Ted.

I'm curious as to what practices these are.
    I think the most powerful one I use is called "pre-qualifying" as in I'm turning down almost as much work as I take. They don't realize it at the time, but while they are checking me out, I'm doing the same to them. Certain signals result in me referring them to someone else. It is a very powerful tool for having mostly positive experiences.

The second trick is not to get involved in albums. I farm that over to someone who likes doing it. I can easily make up the revenue shooting more gigs, because I can take more as I'm not bogged down for a month or more handling the maddening trickle of minutia that producing albums entails.

As far as the people who would hire a $100 DSLR kid, well, they aren't anywhere near my customer demographic, so they might as well not exist from my perspective.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 06-12-2009 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin