Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,324   Online: 991

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    When someone asks me to photograph their wedding, I suggest they get two or three friends with cameras to do the ceremony, and a bunch of one-use film cameras and put them on all the tables at the reception (because if the ask me, they are too cheap to pay a pro.) And if they are good enough friends, I offer to take one image with the 8x10.
    I like this idea, thank you! I think that will be my response from now on. I've done weddings (using d******) for a few friends from time to time, but next time I will suggest your idea, and offer to shoot a roll or two of portraits with the RB67.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Most wedding photographers aren't into giving up the files or negatives without getting something out of it, because it means no print sales.
    They prefer a buyout, because they get paid well enough for their time, and this way they don't have to deal with any of the printing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=JBrunner;751161]
    Quote Originally Posted by analogsnob View Post

This thread should be OT about the wherefores of using film to shoot weddings. I'd like to hear more from Riccis.
    What would you like to know? Ask away...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think it really helps to compare, because the markets will be different as well.

I don't think it's a film vs. digital thing. I just don't see why anyone would want 1000+ images from their wedding regardless of the medium used. 100 would be plenty.

It just seems that because the digital shooters can shoot a lot more, they do and therefore it is now expected, making more unnecessary work for everyone.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-11-2009 at 03:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Must stop trying to type capital numbers!
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    what is the point of shooting film when the client wants a web gallery and electronic files?
    None.

This becomes a business plan and marketing question session; "is that what I want to be known for?" and "can I really afford to do all the marketing and pay all the bills if that is what I sell?"

For me the answers are no and no.

I fully expect video and "Aunt Linda" to completely take over that market eventually.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most wedding photographers aren't into giving up the files or negatives without getting something out of it, because it means no print sales.
    You are right.

I do think the pricing models are changing to accommodate the idea of giving away the negs though.

Getting paid properly upfront for shooting is one way to take after-the-fact print profits out of the calculation.

Timing is another, delivering the negs after say, a year. If I haven't made the print sales in a few months I'm probably done chasing that client, deliver the negs on "their" first anniversary and ask for referrals instead.

A third option is being a great printer. If your printing can stand on it's own as a salable product you become very hard to replace regardless of who has the negative.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't think it's a film vs. digital thing. I just don't see why anyone would want 1000+ images from their wedding regardless of the medium used. 100 would be plenty.

It just seems that because the digital shooters can shoot a lot more, they do and therefore it is now expected, making more unnecessary work for everyone.

Steve.
    One of the reasons 1000+ shots comes in handy is for slideshows. We produce slideshows on the web and DVD for our clients. We typically don't aim to do a hokey slideshow of 1 image/2 seconds. Instead, we lay the slides to the music, often running through more than one a second to provide a feel of action and movement.

So while our B&G's won't need or buy 1000 prints. They enjoy what can be done for slideshows.

Here's an engagement slideshow I did last year with a couple when I was shooting nearly 100% digital:

http://www.djophotography.com/Jessica_and_Devan/
    Dan O'Rourke
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think wedding photographers, just for fun and to see what happens, should try this. Instead of placing disposable cameras on the table as some brides do, carry a couple of Holgas in their pocket as well as the second shooter to see what they come up with. Who knows, can't hurt.

I have several friends in that business and once in a while I used to second shoot for them, some years ago, it's a shame what is happening. Most say it's the increased flood into the market place with new photographers offering $500 shoots on craigslist etc., that is killing them. But interesting, the top 5 percent of the famous wedding photographers are doing their best business right now, almost like their clients are proving the seperation of the Classes between richer and poorer.
    Anyway, digital or film, I don't like to see anyone hurting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djorourke View Post
    We typically don't aim to do a hokey slideshow of 1 image/2 seconds.
    No offense here, your slide show is fun, but your statement is a good example of why I think video will replace much of what has been still's territory.

Slow slide shows are considered "hokey" today and the technology to replace them is in my wife's D90.

I imagine that in a few years it will be hard to find a self respecting soccer mom without video capability. If mom can do a high quality movie clip it raises the bar for digital shooters who are making slide shows.

Throw in the "Red" cameras at 10mp per frame and video is poised to put digital stills at weddings out of business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    interesting, the top 5 percent of the famous wedding photographers are doing their best business right now.
    I would bet it has a lot to do with their marketing and business skills.

The shooters of $500 shoot and burn jobs aren't the problem either in my mind, the $500 buyers are, that's all they are willing to spend because that's all they have or that's all it's worth to them.

$500 for 3-4 hours shooting and no processing is a reasonable day rate for a new shooter actually. $125/hr.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin