Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,640   Online: 771

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Images
    >>Riccis Valladares<<

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed seeing the work. Beautiful!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    No offense here, your slide show is fun, but your statement is a good example of why I think video will replace much of what has been still's territory.

I partially agree with you. On the other hand, who actually ever watches the wedding video? In one year's time, all that will be looked at is a photo or two that is on display. The album might get dug out in the future to show the kids or reminisce, but I doubt the video will be ever really watched again. At least that's how I feel about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dan - Thanks for sharing your engagement slideshow. I'll respectfully disagree with you on your statement that 1000+ shots come handy for a slideshow since all that is needed are strong images with deep emotional impact. I deliver anywhere from 137-250 total images for the average 6-8 hour wedding day.

Mark - I honestly don't think moving images will replace stills. IMHO, the are completely different mediums that can complement nicely when done well but one does not replace another... Just imagine the workflow nightmare of trying to pull a 1/125s exposure out of something shot at 24-30 fps... This is something that you will never see me doing. Also, the day that a professional photographer has to worry about soccer moms competing with him/her just because they have top of the line equipment is the day that such studio should retire.

jgcull - Thanks for your kind comments about my work.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    On the other hand, who actually ever watches the wedding video? In one year's time, all that will be looked at is a photo or two that is on display. The album might get dug out in the future to show the kids or reminisce, but I doubt the video will be ever really watched again. At least that's how I feel about it.

I agree. I think I recorded over our video within a year of getting married (I hope my wife doesn't read this!).

I have been to a couple of weddings where the video of the service was played at the reception. Just about everyone at the reception was at the service so I didn't see the point. I don't think I would have watched it even if I wasn't at the service.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the shoot and burn togs and their clients can be left out of the equasion. Riccis, do you market your shooting as being on film, or do you just market the result?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Riccis, do you market your shooting as being on film, or do you just market the result?
    I market my style and the results that come from it but the clients that know film (art directors, folks from the creative and entertainment industry, etc...) specifically seek out film shooters.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot very few weddings, but the ones I have shot have been almost entirely B&W film, and almost entirely available light. The clients came to me specifically because I'm a film shooter. I turn down weddings all the time just because they're more stress than I like to inflict upon myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Throw in the "Red" cameras at 10mp per frame and video is poised to put digital stills at weddings out of business.
    You bet. I shoot the Red. Would you like a price quote? It will likely be more than the entire budget for most weddings, let alone the post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    You bet. I shoot the Red. Would you like a price quote? It will likely be more than the entire budget for most weddings, let alone the post.
    Jason, you are absolutely right today. What I'm saying is that in the next two or three digital product cycles (4-8 years?) we could see affordable high quality video that could make digital still cameras redundant.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccis View Post
    Mark - I honestly don't think moving images will replace stills. IMHO, the are completely different mediums that can complement nicely when done well but one does not replace another... Just imagine the workflow nightmare of trying to pull a 1/125s exposure out of something shot at 24-30 fps... This is something that you will never see me doing.
    Riccis, I'm not saying I'd do it either but at the shoot & Burn end of the market where 1020x768 pixels is big enough video could take the whole market. The video shooters are already doing all the work except yanking a single frame for a portrait and polishing it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccis View Post
    Also, the day that a professional photographer has to worry about soccer moms competing with him/her just because they have top of the line equipment is the day that such studio should retire.
    Amen.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin