Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,364   Online: 1151

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Here in PR, digitographers will shoot a wedding for $300 and hand the bride a cd with the images before they leave the reception.
    Maybe I'm too much of an old romantic, but I'd have thought the bride would have had more interesting plans for the honeymoon nights than looking at digisnaps of cousin Henry in his ill-fitting suit on the laptop...
    Alex

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmacphee View Post
    Maybe I'm too much of an old romantic, but I'd have thought the bride would have had more interesting plans for the honeymoon nights than looking at digisnaps of cousin Henry in his ill-fitting suit on the laptop...
    Alex... you publicly dropped your participle in open forum. How embarrassing this must be for you!! This is not YOUR typical style!! Are the honeymooners looking at wedding images on the laptop or is cousin Henry on the laptop? You're regularly so eloquently written that this shocks me. I'm shocked to the bone, I say!!

OMG... I've had an epiphany. You're becoming American-ized. Oh my...
    Last edited by Mike1234; 10-12-2009 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Alex... you publicly dropped your participle in open forum. How embarrassing this must be for you!!
    Ach, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ; I wish I could blame the drink, but it's probably a chocolate overload from this box of Quality Street I've been munching my way through.

Rats, I've just noticed a whole pile of dropped participles on the carpet behind my desk, all half-chewed. And I thought Lucy was chasing house spiders (she got George on Thursday last) ; stupid cat.

OMG... I've had an epiphany. You're becoming American-ized. Oh my...
    I shall be well in the morning, and my participle count should be restored. I have a higher than average regard for our colonial cousins, but there are limits!
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    My favourite quote from the article referenced concerns another of his customers:

"The Durands claim Mr Bowers left early on the wedding day, saying he had a gig as a stand-up comedian."

A man of many talents, indeed.

Matt
    Was his act at the gig showing his photographs ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't be so sure. To the newest generation, doing something virtually is better than doing it for real. Virtual photographs are better than those undesirable real ones, that cost money, have mass, take up space, and can be smelled. Playing virtual bowling on the virtual bowling machine is as good as going to the real bowling alley with real sticky seats and drinking real beer. Reading virtual books on a virtual book reader is as good as a bookshelf full of books...even better...more virtual. A harddrive is as good as a record collection...even better. A virtual-photograph-virtual-wedding is as good as the real thing....probably better even...it has more of that desirable virtuality.

I went on vacation this summer. I realized people spend more time looking at the backs of their digital cameras, than they do looking at the sights.

Although I do take photographs when I am on vacation, and go on vacation to take photographs, I refuse to ever stumble onto the next level where the experience that is sought is not the experience itself but the experience of having had (and documented with forensic precision) the experience.

The book In the Beginning, there was the Command-Line has several insightful looks at this endemic virtuality.
    Last edited by BetterSense; 10-13-2009 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It's easy enough to understand how he got the job–instant portfolio via flickr! (O.K., I'm not saying I have proof, but it's certainly trivial to build a web portfolio this way, and I have trouble imagining any other path to someone spending this much money on someone this incompetent in a very competitive market.)

Haven't shot enough weddings to have one truly come unglued yet, but I came very close to disaster on a Quinceañera once (a long time ago). As I packed to go to the event I noticed that somehow the frameline selector had fallen off my Mamiya Universal, so I subbed a Super 23 as my main body.

The problem with that is that the Super 23 has a Linhof-style tilting back, and vaguely crummy locks. Sure enough, at some point I must've picked it up by the back, and added 1/4" or so of stealth back tilt to all the formals. But by some miracle I'd been doubling all the formals with my HiMatic 7s, mostly as a test of what the new-to-me little body could do. They were sharp, on Reala, and even exposed better–its GN-only-mechanical-autoflash system did better than the thyristor flash I had on the Mamiya, especially in bright daylight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    I've been refusing weddings since I closed my studio. Here in PR, digitographers will shoot a wedding for $300 and hand the bride a cd with the images before they leave the reception.
    A few years ago when my wife and I got married in Vegas, the, uh, photographer was still shooting film. They shot one roll and gave us the film on the way out. Along with the videotape. But we were only paying, as I recall, about $50 for the service. Were the pictures great? No. Were they better than what those folks in the UK got? Yes.

When you're getting married by a big, fat, sweaty Elvis, you may be better off with not so many photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I don't understand is why this story is being reported all over the world thousands of "photographers" are f***ing up weddings and being sued all over the world all the time.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I photographed my cousin's wedding this year using a film SLR. Fun day and some nice photos. A friend does this on the side using his DSLR and he said I was 'crazy' to do this using film as it's too 'risky' (there's no preview screen). I told him when my parents married in the late 1960s the photographer gave the films to his assistant after the wedding, he drove back to the lab and they had proof prints on a board as the guests arrived for their evening meal. Nowadays my friend spends days whittling down his 500+ photos before burning them onto a CD. Progress!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    What I don't understand is why this story is being reported all over the world thousands of "photographers" are f***ing up weddings and being sued all over the world all the time.
    If that's factual then I strongly suspect it has something to do with ever decreasing skill levels in most, if not all, professions. However, the profession is still well respected notwithstanding "wedding photographers" attempts at making a buck despite a lack of skills and experience.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 10-14-2009 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin