Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Beginner advice?

Hello All,

I've been lurking on APUG for a few months and I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first film camera. I have a fairly successful full-time wedding business but there is a part of me that has always wanted to try the workflow and process of film in the heat of the wedding moment. So I'm hoping to throw the film camera over my shoulder and start trying some things out while I still shoot digital as always.

So my question to you guys would be for any advice you can give about work flow on the day (when to swap rolls, how to ration or plan shots) and film types that work well for weddings. I bought a 35mm Nikon to go with my d3s but I''m also thinking about finding a medium format film camera so if you've got any advice/encouragement/abuse/or anything else you'd like to send my way I'd greatly appreciate it.

many thanks

- trr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Really, when I shot weddings, I changed the film when I needed to. I knew the progression of events fairly well and could plan ahead and change film when there were low spots. I would shoot a roll pre ceremony. I would shoot a roll coming down the aisle. I would shoot a roll during the ceremony. I would shoot a roll coming up the aisle. I would shoot a roll about the church after ceremony. I would shoot a roll of toast, cake (not the cutting), some candids. I never shot the announcement. The clients always bought the shots coming back up the aisle so announcement was a waste. The I would shoot the dances. The last dance I would shoot early on so I had time to change for the cake cutting and the bouquet/garter fiascos.

Just plan ahead and time your shooting as best you can.

Of course, in a perfect world that would work everytime. It was successfull enough, though.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think for weddings you want a fast medium format system and Portra 800, though if you already have nice lenses for the full frame 35mm format I'd stick with 35mm and Portra 800. Portra is nice because if you need 1600 or 3200 ISO you can get the film push processed. If you like black and white you might try TMAX 3200 film. The F5 would give you a similar feel to the D3, but the N80 will work just as well and be cheap and light (there's no difference between cameras besides weight and frame rate.) If it's outside on a bright sunny day you can try Portra 160NC or VC depending on the saturation you want. Just experiment until you find films you like.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I've picked up an f100 and I've looked at the f6 and f5 but never looked at the N line. In this arena I imagine the camera isn't as important as the technique and the film choice but does anyone have advice on good Nikon 35mm options if I do decide to expand the line and need to pick up a few more bodies?

How about film brands? I've always had a fascination with Fuji but I'm not sure if Fuji is the choice for photographing people. Also, can anyone comment on Ilford films for weddings? Or should I stick with Kodak?

many thanks again.

- trr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I pretty much stuck with Superia in 35mm. The greens and blues were awesome IIRC.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi there, I'm with you on this one TRR. Having just spent too much time in front of the computer, I've dug out my film bodies and moved away from digital. My set up is two F6's and an F5. The F5 has 160iso C-41 for outside, the F6's have 400iso / 800iso C41 and B&W for inside / reception. All goes off to the lab and I get my life back! I got the F6's because I like m/f and the F5 loses a lot of its metering superiority with non-chipped lenses. However have started using the C/V lenses with it and now of course there are the ZF.2's as well....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    movingimages,

How far do you enlarge the 400 & 800 speed colour negative film?

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Tom,

The 800 iso I mentioned tends to be TMY-2 the 400 is mainly fuji 400H and I'm happy with this up to 12"x10" for albums. I use Fuji 800Z from time to time and will go to 10"x8" although grain structure is understandably obvious at this level. However I think that it can sometimes be a point of difference from the overly clean looking files that the competition are offering...
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by movingimages View Post
    Hi Tom,

The 800 iso I mentioned tends to be TMY-2 the 400 is mainly fuji 400H and I'm happy with this up to 12"x10" for albums.
    You find the TMY-2 works well at ISO 800? Have you considered medium format for the higher speed colour work?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TRReichman View Post
    How about film brands? I've always had a fascination with Fuji but I'm not sure if Fuji is the choice for photographing people.
    When my father used to photograph weddings he always used Fuji Reala as it gave natural looking fleshtones and wedding dresses came out looking white (assuming they were actually white!).

Quote Originally Posted by movingimages View Post
    All goes off to the lab and I get my life back!
    I often wonder about the rational of wedding photographers changing to digital for convenience. My father used to shoot the wedding, send off the films and get back a set of proofs which were put in an album. The family could then purchase more prints which the lab produced. I really don't understand why today's wedding photographers put up with all the post-processing time involved.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin