Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 5x4

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooting 5x4

A neighbour's daughter is getting married in a couple of weeks, and it crossed my mind to do some LF shots. The full event should be covered by a professional, and I'd like to do a couple of shots for the album and extend my portfolio - Is a 5x4 a realistic proposition ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No ,it is not your wedding and imposing yourself like this runs the risk of making you a very unpopular person , I advise you to do as Susan Sontag suggests

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interesting - I don't think you're imposing anything. On the contrary, I really like the idea. Mind you - as you said - only a couple of shots. They won't take that much time and could produce something unique, assuming you don't completly mess up the shots. Even if, you're not ruining the wedding in any way. The main photographer will take all important the pictures anyway. You're just a guest who happens to have a really big camera

Why don't you just ask them? Show them the camera, tell them what you'd like to do and if they're up for it? Ask the pro so you can somehow shoot together when they're doing the group shot, or it's just the two of them posing.

Seriously, I say go ahead and ask them. Maybe they like the idea? I surely would. I think it's a special day, so why not have an equally special picture to remember it by? Make them an album with the shots, do it for free, or try and get some film and paper money and leave it at that. I can't imagine that you'll make yourself unpopular with that.

If you're unobstrusive and quick - like you should be at a wedding anyway - why not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think you would be imposing on the situation.
    But the official photographer, could possibly have a different opinion.
    Were you thinking of taking some pictures at the wedding ?
    Or some sort of pre-wedding session.
    It's a great idea, if everyone can agree on the proper conditions.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can do it with a hand-held press camera, the whole thing might be seen as a fun part of the day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When is doubt, ask about! They may be thrilled or maybe not, best to find out in advance. Let them deal with the pro.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    YOU want to do large format shots. What about the bride? I used to shoot weddings for the $$ and I have to tell you nothing would be more annoying than some amateur rolling up with a large format camera. Leave it at home and go enjoy the day. Take a small camera if you want and take candid shots. Don't interfere with the pro. He was hired for a reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a couple of shots at my Sister's wedding with a Speed Graphic which had been our father's camera. For me the getting permission part was easy, and I coordinated with the pro before hand so that I didn't impede his work. He was fine with it and things went well.

I'd say talk to the parties involved, and go for it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    If you can do it with a hand-held press camera, the whole thing might be seen as a fun part of the day.
    But it's only if you wear a double breasted suit and a nice, fedora. Especially a fedora with a "press" card stuck in the brim. (Cigar is optional.)
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems to me that the bride is in charge here. If she is happy with you shooting a few 4x5 shots, then that is fine. A contraindication is if there is a contract stipulating that the professional photographer is the only photographer allowed.

Also, it would certainly be a nice courtesy to see how the professional photographer feels about the matter, even if he/she has not been granted exclusive right to photograph. After all, you would not want the pro to be mad at you and the bride because there is just an outside chance that the anger could show up in the product somehow... not that it necessarily would mind you, but I'm just sayin'...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin