Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,949   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At my sister's wedding (where I was the semi-official photographer) I had on a shirt/jacket/skirt that would be appropriate for an upscale office. One of the guests stopped me as I was scurrying around to complement me on dressing so much better than wedding photographers usually do, so for her jeans and tshirt are common, and didn't impress.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wear dress shirt, pants, no tie, dark solid colors. I found a tie gets in the way. Tried a bow tie, too complicated to get correct and the clip on falls off! I try to dress like the guests. I feel that if I get over dressed I will stick out. I want the B&G to be the focus with the bridal party, family & guests to follow. I'm a worker bee at a wedding. I want to blend in with the walls!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Better to have a tie and not need it than to need a tie and not have it.

Ask the client how they want the photographer to dress and, in the absence of information to the contrary, wear a coat and tie. You could always take off what you don't need. Leave the coat or tie in the car if you decide they aren't needed.

My stepsister recently got married on the beach. All the men wore dress pants and shirts with ties loose at the collar. Most of the women wore dresses but ended up going barefoot in the sand.

Made for some interesting photos! (Click.)

Bottom line: Blend in.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would defer the question to the bride (or whoever is paying.)

If I did weddings on a regular pro basis, I'd probably have an upsell option where for an extra $200 I'd wear the shiny uncomfortable shoes, the strangulating tie, the overly toasty and lint free jacket, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    If I did weddings on a regular pro basis, I'd probably have an upsell option where for an extra $200 I'd wear the shiny uncomfortable shoes, the strangulating tie, the overly toasty and lint free jacket, etc...
    Now THERE'S an idea!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last month I went to a wedding - both photographers dressed in jeans and t-shirts. When I shot weddings for a living, I always wore a suit, tie and polished dress shoes. The bride and groom got about 120 images on average... which was virtually all I shot, with the exception for bad shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There used to be a higher profile local wedding photographer (maybe there still is....I don't know and don't really care), who used to wear this awful White Suit. While its good to stand out as the photographer, that was way over the top. My Wife and I looked into using him for our wedding, but found him rude and a little bit over the top for our liking.

The moral? I would say definitely dress pants and dress shirt, with a tie in the glove box of the car.....but don't try and outdo the wedding party.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Suitable dress ......

I'd recommend a hot RED miniskirt. Please post of photo of you in the miniskirt.

Sorry Ted, I just couldn't resist...
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my two cents worth, I would have to say look professional and dress like one. If you dress like a bum(jeans and tee) then you give the impression that your work is less than professional. Whether it be chinos or dress pants and an oxford shirt(tie optional) and possibly a sport coat, gives an air of decencsy and respectability, and a show of pride in yourself that should portray a sense of pride in your product as well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think, we, men, have this easy. With a traditional and classic business suit, there aren't too many places or things we can't go and do wearing it. You can go less formal by simply taking your jacket off, and tie off if you need to, but I doubt you'll need to do that for a wedding. I find this VERY handy!

If your budget allows, consider getting one with higher grade fabric. While lesser grade ones will keep you hot and steamy inside, ones will better fabric (and usually better construction) will keep you dry and comfortable. Yes - it makes that much difference! You can find really good ones at deep discount at factory outlet stores if you can find one near you and it has the size you need.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin