Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,631   Online: 941

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Solution to "changing ISO's"?

Hi everyone,

So, I love shooting weddings and events, and I love shooting them indoors.
    However, I'm pretty used to using my digital and just racking out whatever ISO I need. With film, this luxury doesn't exist so much.

My question then is... how do you folks "switch film" for weddings? I generally shoot ISO 400 film (working with Kodak Portra 400 and Fuji Pro 400H at the moment) but I've been in situations where I'd need something like 640 ISO to get the shot.

I'd love to get Fuji 800Z but I heard it's been discontinued

Curious on what you folks do to compensate? do you have many camera bodies with all kinds of films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually prepare with some form of bracing the camera for slower shutter speeds. The tripod is the best but sometimes it is as simple as a table and some napkins. Faster speed film usually brings higher grain and is not what I want. Extra bodies with different film is another way, however, for me, its usually B&W in one, color in the other. RF often can be shot as slower shutter speeds since you don't have to have the mirror flapping around. I am sure there are many other ways that work also.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe that 800z is discontinued, though I'm not certain. Have a look-see...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...-not-dead.html

If it's still available, buy a ton and FREEZE it
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could shoot medium format using a camera with interchangeable backs...but that's unlikely to give you a wide enough lens to shoot available light indoors at a wedding with most setups anyhow.

Best solution would be another camera set up for indoor work, IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flash .

Really!

At all the weddings/events that I have shot, flash had at least a small role.

Of course I almost never used 35mm, and my medium format equipment had leaf shutters, making for relatively simple fill flash and "catch light" work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I've thought of the idea of flash and I've used it extensively before. However, I'm trying to develop a style that doesn't use flash. I'm quite heavily influenced by people like Jeff Ascough and other non-flash (or don't use it often) users.

I'm thinking maybe loading one camera with Kodak Portra 400H and another one with Kodak Portra 800... and then a medium format camera with... hmm... Portra?
    (Or Fujifilm equivalents).

Seems like quite a juggling act, I must say.

Oh, I should note that I have Pentax cameras and lenses (FA31, FA77 for lenses, Pentax 645 with 75mm F2.8 for MF). I only have an MZ-60 at the moment. thinking maybe two PZ-1s or MZ-5n's in conjunction with the 645... trying to simplify it as much as I can!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about faster lenses?

I like primes and use a 55mm f/2 most of the time. Trying to lay my hands on a nice 85mm f/1.4 when I can, and a 50 f/1.4 or so. Those extra stops are worth a lot.

And shooting ISO 400 film at 640 isn't going to destroy the picture.

Have fun. I saw your intro too. Welcome to APUG!

Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    I've thought of the idea of flash and I've used it extensively before. However, I'm trying to develop a style that doesn't use flash. I'm quite heavily influenced by people like Jeff Ascough and other non-flash (or don't use it often) users.

I'm thinking maybe loading one camera with Kodak Portra 400H and another one with Kodak Portra 800... and then a medium format camera with... hmm... Portra?
    (Or Fujifilm equivalents).

Seems like quite a juggling act, I must say.

Oh, I should note that I have Pentax cameras and lenses (FA31, FA77 for lenses, Pentax 645 with 75mm F2.8 for MF). I only have an MZ-60 at the moment. thinking maybe two PZ-1s or MZ-5n's in conjunction with the 645... trying to simplify it as much as I can!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks

Oh, I shoot fast lenses like crazy (and love them like crazy)! FA31 is an F1.8, FA77 is an F1.8, and I have a 50mm F1.7 manual focus lens... and if I can adapt my digital, I have a DA*55 F1.4 waterproof lens.

The only thing with shooting at ISO 640 is that you lose some contrast? I really like shots that have that really 'deep' look to them. (full of color or tone) and I find that when I underexpose it becomes very air and light... almost kind of faded... especially in the shadows!

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not get some Fuji Pro 800, do shots which replicate your wedding ones then enlarge to the max size your clients are likely to ask for. If the colours and grain are acceptable then use 800 exclusively. One film, one camera. Much simpler

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    do they even make Fuji 800Z anymore? I can't even find it in my local specialized photography stores! Sounds like I'd be digging into the last reserves?

an 800 film (probably shoot it at 640 ISO) would probably do the trick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin