Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,427   Online: 1135
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48
  1. #21
    Erik Petersson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    634
    Images
    8
    I did something similar at my cousin's wedding last summer. I exposed 8 rolls of 35mm, 4 b&w 400 and 4 Kodak NC 400. Kameras: Nikon F3 and FE. Two primes:50 and 24mm. They were happy enough with the result and I got time enough to enjoy the wedding. The wedding was really low key, probably more relaxed than most and I did not have to make any formal photos. If you would like you can see the best exposures at my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik_pe...7622133672659/

  2. #22
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    OK. Not gear related but here's my two cents worth. If they want to have photographs worth keeping they should have a pro do it. You have never done one and there a lot of novelty shots and standard ones that will not occur to you. Folks who do weddings regularly get a rythym and they seem to just flow through the day no prob. It will be awkward for you and you may fumble through a bit so you might have some stress from it. If you have been invited along with your wife be prepared to spend the day apart from each other as, being the photographer, there ain't much time for socializing. You will view nearly the entire occasion through a viewfinder. It Is hard to participate that way.

    That was all kind of negative, but if it is your intent to SHARE the day with your friends and your wife and enjoy yourself fully, leave the camera at home.
    What he said.

    I can either enjoy the wedding or take the photographs. If I am invited, I will enjoy the wedding.

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  3. #23
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    Yeah, my brother's was the last, 'Oh, you have a camera so you can be our photographer' wedding. I am in wedding photography retirement. Have been for two years. Of course, it's been that long since I have been invited to a wedding. Maybe I need to start letting my friends know I'll do it again. I miss weddings. Nah, not that much.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

    "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

  4. #24
    sly
    sly is offline
    sly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nanaimo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,357
    Images
    218
    I was asked last Wednesday how much I would charge to do a wedding on Saturday - 4 days later. "It'll be very small and informal" - ie - we're looking for cheap. It was not the couple asking, but a close family member. I said it would depend on what the couple wanted, that I couldn't discuss pricing until I talked to them. I wasn't interested in doing digisnaps that would be printed at Costco. (I implied I was NOT cheap). I never heard about it again, but I'll ask next time I see her how it went.

  5. #25
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    I did something similar at my cousin's wedding last summer. I exposed 8 rolls of 35mm, 4 b&w 400 and 4 Kodak NC 400. Kameras: Nikon F3 and FE. Two primes:50 and 24mm. They were happy enough with the result and I got time enough to enjoy the wedding. The wedding was really low key, probably more relaxed than most and I did not have to make any formal photos. If you would like you can see the best exposures at my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik_pe...7622133672659/
    Thanks Erik! Had a quick look and they look fine to me. This wedding is VERY low key but I think the bride to be may smack me if she doesn't get some decent shots

  6. #26
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    What he said.

    I can either enjoy the wedding or take the photographs. If I am invited, I will enjoy the wedding.

    Steve
    I hate to say it Mr. Glass but I think that for this one, I may rather be taking pictures

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    830
    I was asked to take some pics at a family wedding 3 years ago, although they hired a "pro" (quotes deliberate) for the main shots. It was a learning experience I strongly recommend using flash at the reception - I tried to do 3200-6400 or higher ISO shots (on Delta 3200 and Tri-X) with no flash to not ruin the mood, but that largely didn't work out (lighting was turned down extremely low - I tried metering it, it came out to 3-4 EV generally). Also, it was an open bar and the guests were very well lubricated and couldn't have cared less about flash at that point
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

    - phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

  8. #28
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,107
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I hate to say it Mr. Glass but I think that for this one, I may rather be taking pictures
    That is a choice only you can make. I posted my opinion.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  9. #29
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is a choice only you can make. I posted my opinion.
    And that is always very much appreciated

  10. #30
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    I was asked to take some pics at a family wedding 3 years ago, although they hired a "pro" (quotes deliberate) for the main shots. It was a learning experience I strongly recommend using flash at the reception - I tried to do 3200-6400 or higher ISO shots (on Delta 3200 and Tri-X) with no flash to not ruin the mood, but that largely didn't work out (lighting was turned down extremely low - I tried metering it, it came out to 3-4 EV generally). Also, it was an open bar and the guests were very well lubricated and couldn't have cared less about flash at that point
    Yes, flash will likely be a must here. Weather is going to be awful probably and most, or the entirety of the event, will be inside. Considering that it is a restaurant, I doubt that lighting will be anything great. I will bring a Leica fitted with a Noctilux and a few rolls of Delta or P3200, just in case.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin