Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 749

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Stuck With a Wedding - Need Some Advice

Friends second marriage, they love my photography and want ME to record their event (I'm a guest with my wife as well so go figure). Never shot a wedding before. It is not formal, per se, more on the casual side, starting at 4:00pm eastern, so a little outdoors (weather permitting) and mostly indoors. The question is...what would do the trick so I can have some fun and not bring a suitcase full of gear.

This is what I have, with every lens for Leica and Contax 645 and enough Nikon, and I'm just indecisive on what to use for the job (non-paid obviously). My heart says Leica but I'm thinking the F6 with an SB800 will do nicely indoors..Help!!

Leica M7, MP
    Nikon F6
    Rolleiflex 2.8f
    Contax 645
    Fuji 645i

Film wise..I would say Reala 100, Portra 160NC, FujiPro 400H, Tri-X, maybe some delta 3200 or P3200 for indoors, or Neopan 1600..

Thanks SO VERY MUCH, for any advice. Much appreciated!

Best,

Max

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given that selection I think I would use the two Leicas and perhaps have the F6 standing by in reserve somewhere.

It's good to have backup/redundancy in case something goes wrong and having two Leicas means you can swap between them instinctively without thinking about different techniques for working two different cameras.

My father used to use Reala exclusively for weddings as it was supposed to be formulated to give good skin tone whilst keeping wedding dresses looking white. However, the Portra would also be a good choice.

Having said that, I have only done two weddings - both unpaid, and I used a Mamiya RB67 with a Vivitar 285 flash and home made bounce flash adaptor.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 09-08-2010 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to enjoy the wedding you should tell him so, and that he should hire someone instead. Don't stress out about it whatever you do. Just take one camera, one or two lenses and a pocket full of film. Since you have the flash for the Nikon take that.
    Last edited by patrickjames; 09-08-2010 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two cameras, Leica M7 or MP, outdoors with slow film, indoors with fast film and available light. Nikon F6, indoors with flash. If you wanted to bring a third, the Rolleiflex on a tripod for formal shots. But, to many camera and you will be spending to much time fiddling with them. The more you use one camera, the controls become instinktive, and you can concentrate on the moment.
    JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks, Steve. I'm opting for the F6 with a couple of fast, manual focus lenses and a Leica for some indoor, no flash use, and b&w. I know I will be in need for flash inside and if I do not, it's easier to deal with that. Film wise, yes, I'll probably stick with Reala/Portra, and maybe some Pro400H for color shots.

Patrick..I hear you but he says this would be his wedding gift (smart guy, or maybe not depending on how the pictures turn out). The fact that it is a second marriage and pretty low key, gives me a little less pressure. I would likely not have accepted if they were having a full fledged formal affair.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Two cameras, Leica M7 or MP, outdoors with slow film, indoors with fast film and available light. Nikon F6, indoors with flash. If you wanted to bring a third, the Rolleiflex on a tripod for formal shots. But, to many camera and you will be spending to much time fiddling with them. The more you use one camera, the controls become instinktive, and you can concentrate on the moment.
    JMHO
    Yes, Jim! Was writing the previous reply while yours came through
    That's pretty much the plan. Would love to bring the Rolleiflex for some MF portrait/posed shots and still might..we'll see. if weather looks good I probably will bring it and, worst case scenario, it just won't get used.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Whatever cameras you are comfortable with - and perhaps a MF camera for a roll of formal shots on a pod. Pick up a bunch of disposable film cameras (do they still make them? LOL!) and spread them out on the tables at the reception with notes telling the guests to use them. That way you "work" only during the ceremony and a few shots on either side. Then put the camera down at the reception and party!

At the end, gather up the cameras and take the film to be processed.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having done something similar, in all seriousness, if you wish to keep your sanity and the couples friendship please convince the bride and groom to hire a professional photographer! You don't know what you're getting into and it has nothing to do with your talent as a photographer.

Think Bridezilla and the mother of Bridezilla!
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-08-2010 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd stick with one film and one camera. Even low-key weddings get hectic and it's so easy to mix up films/cameras and then you may end up rating a film wrong or even shoot B&W when you think it's colour - a disaster!

I'd use the F6 with Pro 400H. If you really must lug around more than that, perhaps a Leica with fast B&W (loaded beforehand so as not to get confused). Keep your spare films in your right pocket and transfer to your left pocket when done.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Whatever cameras you are comfortable with - and perhaps a MF camera for a roll of formal shots on a pod. Pick up a bunch of disposable film cameras (do they still make them? LOL!) and spread them out on the tables at the reception with notes telling the guests to use them. That way you "work" only during the ceremony and a few shots on either side. Then put the camera down at the reception and party!

At the end, gather up the cameras and take the film to be processed.
    Disposables...nice idea, Vaughn! And these people are all old enough to remember those days

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin