Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,550   Online: 894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film for a wedding

Shooting my brother's wedding in film, what do the pros here use? I've got some Neopan 1600, Portra 160vc and FujiFilm Pro 400h. Any suggestions? I've got some decent hardware and will probably be holding some Canon L glass for the day. Not sure what low-speed black and white I should use, I heard ADOX and Rollei make a nice vintage-style black and white. Been wanting to try something different other than what the camera store has.

We're going to be on a cruise ship indoors and outdoors.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Portra 400 - so flexible, so forgiving of poor exposure environments, lovely colour and grain...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Marc.

Also the 160vc is beautiful but it takes more light, ample light is a rarity at a wedding unless you bring it with you. The flexibility and quality of the 400 is probably a better choice.

I'd also suggest that with regard to the fast B&W that you stick with the Neopan you know. If you experiment with a "new" film at the wedding, you may be experimenting with a "new" relationship with your brother.

I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't try this, I'd just be darn sure you have the important stuff in-the-bag first.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you've never shot a wedding I have two suggestions. First, look through some wedding portrait and pose type books and get some ideas. Don't be afraid to try something creative. Second, use 400. You won't have grain problems with today's film, 400 will do both in and out nicely and the one less thing you have to worry about, the little bit more you'll be freed up to see what's going on around you. Weddings can move at a hare's pace and you don't want to miss it by wondering which film should I load. Stick and move. KISS. Good luck.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have never shot a wedding, but have shot people in changing light. Obviously there will be outside shots, a slower film then 400 may be indicated.

If you use two film speeds, use the same line. It is not attractive to me, to have photos in a series that change character. Like Plus-X is to Tri-X, a good match in the color, grain and contrast would be desirable. My choice would be Portra 160NC and 400NC. And I would also add a b+w for some classical looking images.

Lastly, whatever film you choose, practice with a few rolls first to get to know it and the results you want, IMHO.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you've got experience of 400H, I'd use that. If you want to have a stab at the new Portra 400 make sure you test, test, test well in advance. Same goes with Neo 1600 and whatever other options you may have.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The three I mentioned I have shot and seen results and I was impressed. So I'll do Portra 400 instead of 160vc. I will have an Elan 7e and either an EOS 650 or an EOS A2e on hand, I like the 5fps of the A2e.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find any of the Portra 400nc, I would recommend it over the 400vc for a wedding.

Weddings and saturated colours don't do it for me.

I haven't used the new Portra 400, but for weddings I expect I would prefer it to the Portra 400vc.

I used to shoot weddings using the 160nc (and its predecessors), but that was in medium format, with flash where necessary or advisable.

EDIT: By the way, this thread would really fit well in the "Weddings" forum (hint to moderators)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Moved to "Weddings."

The Lounge is really only for off-topic discussions, and most Lounge threads are eventually deleted when they've become inactive, so please try to start threads that are about traditional photography in the most relevant forum you can find.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i find fuji pro 400h overexposed is perfect for weddings... gives a light and airy feel to the pictures that helps provoke a sense of happiness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin