Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,118   Online: 735

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wedding setup

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Don't you feel that they are taking advantage of you
    Yes, I suppose they are. But I do enjoy it and I find that the couples do reciprocate with kindness afterwards - I wouldn't do it for strangers, but for family and close friends mutual exploitation is what binds us! I'll scratch their back and further down the line when I need mine scratching...I've never approached photography as a money making exercise even though there are clearly many opportunities to make money if I was so inclined.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Yes, I suppose they are. But I do enjoy it and I find that the couples do reciprocate with kindness afterwards - I wouldn't do it for strangers, but for family and close friends mutual exploitation is what binds us! I'll scratch their back and further down the line when I need mine scratching...I've never approached photography as a money making exercise even though there are clearly many opportunities to make money if I was so inclined.
    I do understand your point of view, and I have been happy to volunteer to shoot the weddings of family members, and close friends without being asked and give the couple the pictures as a wedding present, but that's been my choice, it's the acquaintances who once they know you have a skill who try to exploit it as of right who piss me off.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    it's the acquaintances who once they know you have a skill who try to exploit it as of right who piss me off.
    Yes, I'm the same. I wouldn't shoot for someone who was clearly looking to save a few hundred quid. Again, perhaps it's the crowd I'm hanging around with: I shoot for my hippy, bohemian, drop-out friends and they do reciprocate.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least make sure you have a backup for everything.

Cheers,

Michiel FOkkema

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only done this once so this is not an "advise" but sharing my experience.

I pretty much took everything I owned but at the end of the day, these are equipment I actually used.

A body with 70-200 f/2.8, potato masher flash
    Another body with 24-70 f/2.8, flash on a bracket
    105 f/2.8 macro lens
    Spare for every stupid thing

I carried two setup at all times with me. Rest of the gear was in groom's room. I had an assistant to do "chores" when I needed. She (my girlfriend) was probably the most useful "equipment" I had of the day. Lining up guests, finding someone, fetching what I need, I couldn't have done all this by myself.

Did I tell you this was my first time? Did I tell you to have backup for everything? Well... the ONLY thing I didn't have a spare of was a cord that goes from flash to camera body because the flash was on a bracket. This was purchased new and tested for few weeks. Guess what failed.... an hour before the "show" starts.... I had to troubleshoot it quickly and remove the bracket, smile, and get ready.

I did most of the shoot with digital gears. I had one film camera for few shots. I may get a flack for saying this on APUG, but be very careful about selection of your media... this is THE day for the couple, family, and all the guests. Not a day for our hobby.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I did most of the shoot with digital gears. I had one film camera for few shots. I may get a flack for saying this on APUG, but be very careful about selection of your media... this is THE day for the couple, family, and all the guests. Not a day for our hobby.

Because film isn't as popular as it used to be it's suddenly not as good for weddings as it was twenty years ago?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For an interesting perspective on weddings, equipment, and other things check out http://www.aljacobs.com/
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I decided to shoot weddings again, I would probably go back to the equipment I used to use:

Mamiya TLRs - C330 main body, C220 backup;
    65mm, 80mm and 135mm lenses
    Metz 60CT2 and Metz 60CT1 flashes
    Gossen hand meter
    Portra film - 220 and 120 - mostly ISO 160
    Pro lab proofs - 5x5
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by softshock View Post
    Because film isn't as popular as it used to be it's suddenly not as good for weddings as it was twenty years ago?

I never said quality of the product was the reason I chose the other media. I have significant investment in film and film equipment here, and I do most of my "artistic" work for myself on film. My point was to think of the couple first - not the hobby. Being the first time wedding shooter that I was, the ability to view the result - to at least make sure half way decent image was recorded was high on my mind. Great tonality and artistic expression was far down the priority. So once the official wedding started, I used the "instant" method. During the low time before the "show", I used my film to shoot what I'd like to keep and enjoy.

The point I was making was, it is a serious business to be a wedding photographer - paid or otherwise. (I was a volunteer photog for a couple who had very limited $$)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    My point was to think of the couple first - not the hobby. Being the first time wedding shooter that I was, the ability to view the result - to at least make sure half way decent image was recorded was high on my mind.
    If you are only shooting weddings occasionally then this does give you a bit more peace of mind as you can check the images. But people used to do occasional weddings before digital.

With either method you just need to know exactly what your camera and film/sensor is going to do to have the confidence that what you are doing is right. Once you have that, everything will be fine.... even the digital user will not need to look at the back of the camera after every (or any) shot!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin