Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,812   Online: 845

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wedding setup

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Since in Britain two out of three marriages end in divorce I wonder if there's an untapped market for divorce photography because there's a market for everything else to do with marriage, engagement, maternity etc.
    Although people do not tend to formally celebrate divorce (I understand) it seems that people who is in the habit of getting married usually tend to marry again (imagine that). So in itself the possibility of divorcing almost doubles the market.

When a couple of cheapskates comes in your studio and wants to save money, draw their attention on the irrationality of saving on something that will outlast the marriage (the photographic album) and spending too much on something that will invariably end up in shit within less than two days. Not to mention a dress which will not be used any more.

You have to say that to the bride, obviously. If a man gets married it's obvious he got out of his mind already*.

Fabrizio

* You know that. Just look around you. If things go well, fine. If things don't work, she'll get the children, she'll retain the house and most of his wage. He'll have to pay a rent (to rent a room) with what he has been left. He might have to continue to pay her a monthly check even if she marries again (at least in Italy). I tell you if you get married you must be insane
    Spend in your preferred hobby instead. It will never betray you
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmm.... A marketing idea for wedding photogrpahers. With every wedding album inlcude a 1/2 off certificate for a divorce cerimony shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot my first wedding a few weeks ago. I used a mamiya super 23 mostly. With a lot of flash in various light modifiers. Only shot portraits and some rather posed scenes. Used 5 rolls, 40 photos. 400H and acros.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ideally I would like to shoot with two TLR's , as 35mm with long zoom in case, and a 4x5 for posed formals. Right now though im at 1 TLR, two 35mm SLRs and a digi body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you wish to keep your friends as friends then strongly suggest to them that they hire a professional wedding photographer. Professionals have the experience, nerves and thick skin to deal with all those people associated with a wedding. There is not enough gold in Fort Knox to tempt me to do any more weddings.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear Jerry;
    I have never been in such agreement with a post in my life!!! I always remember the caution that the "Wedding Photographer" is the first to be criticized and the last to get paid.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    my equipment:
    Canon 1ds body, canon 5dmark II body, 17-40mm,24-70mm,70-200mm,20mm,24mm tilt and shift, 85mm
    3 flash 580ex , 40gb memory cards , reflector portable black and silver , tripod, battery portable tugsten light .
    lowepro super trekker pro .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had pretty good luck with:
    8x10 deardorff - 8x10 and 5x7 backs, a bunch of holders, a jumbo film changing tent
    hasselblad with 80 and 160 mm lenses and a couple of extra backs
    nikon fe2 loaded with kodak tmax100, a nikon f3/t with hp5 and an assortment of lenses.

I like the large format for after-the-ceremony firing squad stuff (line them up and shoot them). If I have a chance I'll set up lights and backdrop and do pictures of guests who want to be photographed. Once I've processed the big negatives (pryo, in trays, by inspection rather than time and temp) I deliver either as contact prints on silver (lodima in amidol) or palladium (strathmore or rives bfk watercolor paper)
    I've tried a 4x5 press camera and been unhappy with results.
    Occasionally, I contact print the 6x6 negatives, but for the most I crop them pretty heavily. I print the 35 mm negatives on ilford fiber base full-frame (with the verification boarder).

I think as long as the bride and groom have a very clear understanding of what you're planning on delivering and your general aesthetic things go way smoother. I don't do photography for a living. I have a lot of respect for those who do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After myself being married to the same woman for forty seven years, I realize why at the ceremony the bride wears white and the groom black
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've taken photos at two weddings, and one was my own (rimshot).

A friend of mine, back in the late '90s, knew I'd just recently started enjoying photography and invited me to be the "candid" photographer at his wedding, while the pro did his thing. He'd take the fancy posed shots, and I'd be right there to capture (for instance) the bride's expression when they were finally able to relax. While he was arranging family members and guests for group portraits, I was roaming the crowd catching what was going on... wedding street photography style. In fact, I think I was the only one who managed to get a shot of the cake before a friend of the bride unwittingly cut herself a piece and started chowing down... and I got a shot of the bride dressing her down as well.
    I really enjoyed the relative freedom, and the ability to be a part of the party compared to the pro, and there wasn't a whole lot of pressure on me to produce technically superior photos, either.

It felt good, though, to discover that most of the photos that ended up in their wedding scrapbook were mine, taken with a lowly Canon EOS Rebel X. (see... I eventually got to the point!)

The marriage lasted about a year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin