Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,856   Online: 936

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    How do you nail the exposure so well? You get great ranges of tones and you keep highlight and shadow detail.
    Thanks for nice comments.

I use the same techniques as folks would with colour transparencies - I use ND Grads for most shots other than macro. My Lee ND Grads get a lot of use, particularly the 0.9 (3 stop)....

I usually spot meter for midtones and use the ND Grads to hold detail in the sky. I also often use Grads in combination with a yellow filter to boost contrast a little.

I've used the same film for a long time (Ilford Delta 100, rated at 64) and have learned to judge how it handles most lighting situations.

As I don't post-process with scans, I need to get things right 'in-camera', and have had many 'didn't-quite-get-things-right' rolls of film to learn from...!
    Last edited by coigach; 12-18-2010 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gavin, those are great! And congratulations. Thanks for the interview too. The images are easy to look at, and my eyes just keep moving through them, again and again. The atmosphere you visually describe is something I aspire to (but have nothing to show right now), and reminds me of several places I have been. Good luck with the publication.
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtracker View Post
    Gavin, those are great! And congratulations. Thanks for the interview too. The images are easy to look at, and my eyes just keep moving through them, again and again. The atmosphere you visually describe is something I aspire to (but have nothing to show right now), and reminds me of several places I have been. Good luck with the publication.
    Thanks for the kind words

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin