Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,828   Online: 823

Thread: Tri-X woes

Shooter
    35mm RF

Tri-X woes

I've just souped up three rolls of Tri-x in 35mm and 95% of the frames are extremely flat and around a stop under-exposed. I used my standard times with XTOL 1:1 @ 9 min. Everything as per normal... camera is fine, metered with a handheld which is accurate. I also shot many rolls of Portra using the same camera which came out fine. Only 'new' thing was a light yellow B+W filter so I exposed everything @200. My only conclusion is that my XTOL has expired.. it was just a little flakey so that should have warned me I guess. Its been stored properly at full strength for about 6 months. Could expired developer explain very flat negs? I don;t think I'll even try and print these... lessons learned! ;-) Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    6 months is about the end of life for Xtol so you might have had expired chemicals. I think the filter you used needs 1.5 stops extra exposure too, so that compounds it.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks very much Chris. I thought light yellow was only 2/3 of a stop... silly me. Thanks for your help. I will make up another 5L batch now and get rid of the old XTOL!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kodak tells you what the alkaline ph should be of the stock solution. On eBay, you can buy an inexpensive PH meter and measure the strength of your developer when it's fresh. You check the ph before you use it and that way you know for sure and avoid less than potent development in the future.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks kreeger - I'll check that out. A worthwhile investment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The light yellow filter wouldn't make that much difference with tri x, I always give a stop more weather light or mid yellow, so I would say your Xtol is expired, mix some more and try again.
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Simple thing to remember: if the edge printing on the film look like it usually does, the problem is you and your filter, or your camera. If it's light and flat like your negs, the problem is your developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found Tri-X to be developer sensitive, although I use HC-110 and Diafine, mostly. Using a water bath beforehand has helped me with more even development, but I notice that when I get to the last couple few drops of oxidized HC-110, the negatives are a bit more flat. I tend to just dispose of my chemicals if they're questionable.

Good advice on the edge printing! Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think your problem has been answered. I just want to add that storing the full strength developer in full amber glass bottles or other light blocking bottles is best. Fill to the top to keep exposure to air at the very minimum. Some use marbles but I found that to be a nuisance. I got some brown bottles from a pharmacist a number of years ago. The have measurements and are easy to clean and have been faithful for over twenty years.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin