Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,434   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    I'm going to lift the basket off "papermaker"'s light. Kit Funderburk is the paper voice to heed -- a retired Kodak paper engineer and author of History of the Paper Mills at Kodak Park and A Guide to the Surface Characteristics, Kodak Fiber Based Black and White Papers. There are indeed a lot of websites devoted to handmade papermaking, but I've always wished the topic would get more traction here. The characteristics and requirements of paper for the various alt photo processes are many and diverse. It would be a substantive addition to the analog photo conversation. Hope you're interested, Kit!
    Thanks for the endorsement. Interested? Yes, but while I know something about papermaking and requirements for traditional photo papers, I'm not very familiar at all with the requirements for alternate photo processes. If someone knew a characteristic they wanted to achieve or a requirement that needed to be met, I might be able to offer some suggestions. For the papermaking and baryta coating for traditional photo papers, folks might want to check out the Second Edition of the Guide to Surface Characteristics (free at www.notesonphotographs.org). I tried to cover as much as I had ready access to. Since then I've done additional research to address individual's specific questions and have presented a couple of papers with some new info not in the books.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kit,

Thanks to you. As always, your generosity is inspirational and greatly appreciated.

I really do think that paper is a potential 'weak link' in diy silver gelatin. Papers can disappear or change characteristics as much as any product in the current economic environment. A couple of years ago, I had a nasty experience with Fabriano Artistico. Besides, I've always wanted to get my hands into papermaking .

Right now, I'm working on pulling together some info about exactly where handmade paper/photo processes stand. Looking forward to more conversation on the subject.
    d

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I must say I didn't expect so much interest in the topic - So far my research indicates that hard pressing is the main way to go, although a press is a must. I'm therefore starting looking for a papermaking press, which can double as a bromoil transfer press. I just hope I won't have to make one!

Sadly, so far my papers are too soft, They stay in one peace in the water, but break when I try to touch them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin