Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,374   Posts: 1,682,960   Online: 607

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

XP-2 and exposure

Hi

I have seen that XP-2 can be exposed at rating from 50 to 1600 without change in dev time (C-41).
    Is that correct? And how should I expect an ISO 50 neg and an ISO 1600 neg to be?

Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'll get some kind of image at 50 and 1600, but it won't be a good one. XP-2 looks like hell when exposed at anything higher than 320. Overexposure is not as bad, but you lose contrast, because the film has a long sloping shoulder. The most common advice is to expose it at 200-250, and I agree with that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know someone who swears by XP2 rated at 320.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have gotten excellent results from xp-2 super exposed from ISO100-800. I agree however that it seems to work best at e.i.200 or so.
    I guess you have to figure out what you want to do with either added or decreased depth of field, which I think is this film's largest advantage.

If I had a way of processing c41 successfully at home, I'd use it all the time.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten I rate it at 250 or 320 depending on the lighting conditions. I've heard from people I trust that it's a film that doesn't like to be underexposed so the thought of pushing it sounds a little doubtful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    While I haven't used XP2-Super extensively when I do I rate it @ 320 with good results.

The photos I have posted in the gallery shot with XP2-Super where rated @ 320

Jim
    "it’s so easy to get famous now. Have a big butt and an Instagram account."...Naomi Grossman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hi

I have seen that XP-2 can be exposed at rating from 50 to 1600 without change in dev time (C-41).
    Is that correct? And how should I expect an ISO 50 neg and an ISO 1600 neg to be?

Morten
    Well I used XP-1 then XP-2 for years uprating to 1600 & 3200 ISO but I did increase the developing times in Photocolor II C41 chemistry

Here's a couple of images on this board :-)
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1
    &
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1

I do have the process data sheet near to hand if you need further details. Personally I now shoot work like this digitally as the quality is far higher IMO, and the clients!
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-02-2004 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a recent trip, I shot about 60 rolls of 120 XP-2 Super. I exposed generally at EI 200, but sometimes at EI100. So far the negatives look very good, and they've been printing on average at ISO grade 1.5. The negatives are contrastier than I expected, but that's not a bad thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Well I used XP-1 then XP-2 for years uprating to 1600 & 3200 ISO but I did increase the developing times in Photocolor II C41 chemistry
    Hmmm...I guess I will not use this film for pushing hard as I do not develop C41 at home (nor will I get into it...too much hassle)

I try to shoot it from 100 to 800, have them developed at my local photo pusher and evaluate the negs.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hmmm...I guess I will not use this film for pushing hard as I do not develop C41 at home (nor will I get into it...too much hassle)

Morten
    Morten

It may be worth your while processing at home. The results I have had with commercially processed XP2 were less than inspriing. I'm talking about the negatives rather than the prints.

Adrian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin