Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,217   Online: 1227

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One very nice way I store my various and sundry stock solutions is in "wine boxes".

The bladder inside most is reusable, pop out the spigot, wash well, pour in the XTol, insert spigot, squeeze out the air, and back into the box; re-lable properly.

This allows dispensing without introducing any air.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    One very nice way I store my various and sundry stock solutions is in "wine boxes".

The bladder inside most is reusable, pop out the spigot, wash well, pour in the XTol, insert spigot, squeeze out the air, and back into the box; re-lable properly.

This allows dispensing without introducing any air.
    You realize you could probably make developer from that wine stuff right away? Just pour out one litre of the wine (3 liter box) hydrolyse the stuff with 150 gram of crystal soda and pour it right back at the bladder, it will keep at least as long as the original wine. This is allegehedly a weak developer in itself.

Just pour a tankful (350 ml) and add 5 gram of vitamin C (2 teaspoons) and go right ahead and use this as a developer...... they tell me, I never tried wine myself, but they say it works just as well as coffe...... WINOTOLE?? hehe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xtol is great for pushing film, especially at 1+1 dilution.
    You will get very fine grain, and lots of shadow detail. I'm like you and don't mind if some of my shadow details are lost in total black, but that's in the print, and if the negative has the shadow detail, then you have a choice of how to print it.
    Tri-X @ 3200 will give you nice grain, but much less pronounced than with Rodinal.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Xtol is great for pushing film, especially at 1+1 dilution.
    You will get very fine grain, and lots of shadow detail. I'm like you and don't mind if some of my shadow details are lost in total black, but that's in the print, and if the negative has the shadow detail, then you have a choice of how to print it.
    Tri-X @ 3200 will give you nice grain, but much less pronounced than with Rodinal.
    I will have to try that with replenished XTOL in a Jobo processor. First though, I have to come up with several settings to try it so that I can shoot the complete roll and process it quickly.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is 'repleneshed' XTOL? I ask because I typically mix my 5L of stock solution, develop my film in my small canisters, and then dump the chemical when its done. I don't put it back into the stock solution.

Like the OP, I have been using D76 but I'm about to mix my first batch of XTOL to see how I like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like xtol for general use but haven't mixed any in a while. However, I often push film (tmy2) now with pyrocat hd. It's staining boosts contrast (negatives looking a little thin will print real nice). How it handles shadows and highlights is a function of the time used to develop and agitation amount. It does not slow the film down like some other pyro developers. I haven't tried differing concentrations yet. It keeps real well as liquid concentrate and is quite inexpensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With respect to death:

I mix up 5 liters at a time with distilled water and then pour it into .5 L water bottles. There are two nice things about doing this. The first is that you never have more than .5 L of XTOL sitting around oxidating due to a half empty bottle. At 1:1 dilutions, a bottle does about 4 rolls of film. Secondly, your developer is in conveniently sized bottles—no trying to manhandle a gallon sized glass jar and pouring too much out. I've had it last well over 6 months doing this. At some point after that, if I still have some sitting around, I just toss it and mix fresh. If I can't afford $10 every months on fresh chemicals, than I have bigger problems to worry about

I usually use it 1:1. I've tried it at 1:3 with stand development (1 hour) and got some interesting results, but I need to investigate that more. 1:1 is totally predictable and useable and is definitely good enough for a 1-2 stop push.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    What is 'repleneshed' XTOL? I ask because I typically mix my 5L of stock solution, develop my film in my small canisters, and then dump the chemical when its done. I don't put it back into the stock solution.

Like the OP, I have been using D76 but I'm about to mix my first batch of XTOL to see how I like it.
    See page 4 of http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf
    I like the results of the replenished XTOL even better than stock XTOL. Fine grain and smoother tonality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    See page 4 of http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf
    I like the results of the replenished XTOL even better than stock XTOL. Fine grain and smoother tonality.

So after reading the paragraph on replenishment in your link, I'm still as clueless as before. I would assume that what is replenished is stock solution that has been used, and then added back to the stock solution, and/or stored in a separate container. Basically, replenishment is adding back in, whats been taken out by the film that it previously touched?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After adding the replenished XTOL into the tank, 70ml/80in2 of stock solution is added into the replenished XTOL container. When the developer in the tank has been used, it is poured back into the replenished XTOL tank and the excess is discarded.

The stock solution makes up for the used [exhausted] developer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin