Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,165   Online: 1080

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might be interested in reading the following site which has lots of information.

www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    After adding the replenished XTOL into the tank, 70ml/80in2 of stock solution is added into the replenished XTOL container. When the developer in the tank has been used, it is poured back into the replenished XTOL tank and the excess is discarded.

The stock solution makes up for the used [exhausted] developer.
    ...and the byproducts left in the replenished developer from continued use is what's causing tonality, sharpness, and grain to look a bit different from straight Xtol 1:1.

This is how I have used Xtol for three years, and I love it. The beauty of it is that normally a separate replenishing solution is needed when replenishing a developer, but not with Xtol - it is simply standard stock solution. This means I have both replenished developer AND fresh stock solution on hand, which means I have two developers in one. Formidable.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started to use XTOL a couple of years ago from APUGers suggestion and never regretted it. I used HC-110 replenished for over 20 years. Kodak stopped making the replenisher so I decided to find a developer that I can replenish and XTOL fit my needs. The developer has amazing shadow detail that I didn't get from HC-110. I still occasionally use HC-110. It keeps forever. The look of the two developers are different. The best thing is to run a test and see how you like it. One nice features are XTOL is pretty low toxicity and you can use the developer to replenish itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the big advantages of using a replenishment regime (as compared to diluted developers) is that you don't have to worry about your temperatures - everything is done at a nice stable room temperature. If your room temperature is anywhere near 20C/68F, you just measure the solution temperature, adjust your development time accordingly, and go.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I started to use XTOL a couple of years ago from APUGers suggestion and never regretted it. I used HC-110 replenished for over 20 years. Kodak stopped making the replenisher so I decided to find a developer that I can replenish and XTOL fit my needs. The developer has amazing shadow detail that I didn't get from HC-110. I still occasionally use HC-110. It keeps forever. The look of the two developers are different. The best thing is to run a test and see how you like it. One nice features are XTOL is pretty low toxicity and you can use the developer to replenish itself.
    Since Kodak stopped making HC-110 Replenisher several years ago they recommend that fresh working strength HC-110 be used as a replenisher for dilution B. In this respect HC-110 and Xtol are used in a similar manner in a replenished system.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what's the secret? What dilution and how many mls per roll? Has anybody done any tests? Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    So what's the secret? What dilution and how many mls per roll? Has anybody done any tests? Thanks in advance!
    How's your memory ?: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...-hc-110-a.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    So after reading the paragraph on replenishment in your link, I'm still as clueless as before. I would assume that what is replenished is stock solution that has been used, and then added back to the stock solution, and/or stored in a separate container. Basically, replenishment is adding back in, whats been taken out by the film that it previously touched?
    A quick overview of using replenished developer systems.
    Last edited by polyglot; 01-11-2012 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You might be interested in reading the following site which has lots of information.

www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol
    Wonderful link, I found it to be very informative. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin