Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,701   Online: 715

Thread: bad paper?

Shooter
    Medium Format

bad paper?

I was recently given several hundred sheets of 8x10 kodak rc paper and chemistry. I ran my first prints through and they came out mottled with some areas looking like they got little to no development at all. I figured maybe my temps were too low so I raised the temp to 70 and agitated the hell out of the developer tray. Prints came out a bit better this time but still mottled with areas of under and uneven development. I figured maybe my chemistry was bad so I took out some Arista 5x7 rc paper and ran a few prints. These all came out beautifully! I'm assuming at this point that the paper is shot. Is there anything thay can be done with bad paper, alt processes and such? It seems a shame to throw all this away but it isn't even producing interesting effects to where you might want to do a low-fi thing with it.

Suggestions?

Jeremiah

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak hasn't made B&W paper in several years. I would assume old paper, improperly stored is causing the problems. You can try some alternative processes but don't expect any consistency. One sheet might work out, the next one done exactly the same way will not.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a sheet from the middle of the pack - you may find that it is just the outside sheets that are sub-par.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

X. Phot.
    Photograms are easy and always interesting. To make them even more interesting, use the photograms as paper negatives for contact prints creating positives, all this using the same paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin