Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,393   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 1/2 gallon that has processed 4 rolls and it still looks good to me.

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    One more question on this... I noticed that the times on the Massive Dev Chart are mostly for development at 24C. The TMAX data sheet lists a variety of temperatures. Is there some preference for the warmer temperature (24C instead of 20C)? Is it to reduce development time and therefore reduce grain?

-jbl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    One more question on this... I noticed that the times on the Massive Dev Chart are mostly for development at 24C. The TMAX data sheet lists a variety of temperatures. Is there some preference for the warmer temperature (24C instead of 20C)? Is it to reduce development time and therefore reduce grain?

-jbl
    T-Max developer was, if I remember correctly, designed to operate at a temp higher than the 'normal' 20°C.

Grain will not be minimized because of a shorter development time, especially when you compensate for the short time with higher temp.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like everyone said - use it one shot.

I love this combo. Don't believe folks saying "don't expect much." Yes, it's grainy, but not as bad as you may expect. It has a great look for some things. I skimmed the other posts so not sure if anyone mentioned this but, for best results use the times Kodak gives for one stop more. That is, for your 3200 exposures, develop for the time Kodak recommends for 6400.

Kodak used 75F as the standard for T-Max and T-Max RS. I've pretty much settled on it for ALL my developers, dialing in time accordingly. In my case 1) in summer my darkroom is often warm enough that solutions are already close to (occasionally over) 75F, and 2) any time the temperature is lower, it's easier for my Jobo CPE2, which doesn't have a cold water inlet, to bring them up than for me to bring them down. 75F is fine.

I have got some really good results at 6400 (using the times for 12500.) In the 90s (and for a while in the 80s, an old on again off again hobby of mine) I was active in the medieval group the Society for Creative Anachronism. I shot a roll of TMZ at an outdoor royal court and a candlelit feast, then printed the negatives on RA4 color paper filtered to look like torch light. Here's one of them, EI 6400 in T-Max developer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCA_RoyalCourt1.jpg  

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    So if I'm reading this correctly, there's not really a benefit or a detriment to developing at 20C, it just means a longer dev time.

-jbl

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some developers produce grainier images when used at higher dev. temperature >20°C. Rodinal is a good example for that.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you show examples of this? Two identical negatives, exposed and processed to identical contrast index.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Some developers produce grainier images when used at higher dev. temperature >20°C. Rodinal is a good example for that.

Dominik
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    So if I'm reading this correctly, there's not really a benefit or a detriment to developing at 20C, it just means a longer dev time.

-jbl
    According to people like John Sexton, who did a lot of early testing of the TMax developers/films, TMax and TMax RS produced *slightly* better separations in low to mid densities when they were used at 75F versus 68F (developed to the same contrast index) hence the 75F recommendations. More recently Kodak has extended that recommendation to other Kodak developers, though not necessarily for the same reason. I don't use TMax developers so I can't comment with personal experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Can you show examples of this? Two identical negatives, exposed and processed to identical contrast index.
    I've heard of this supposed phenomenon before - ie that apparently Rodinal is slightly less grainy when used at lower than normal temperatures (ie slightly below 68F). I'm not sure why this would be. My guess is it is untrue, or at least that it has never been substantiated with proper testing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It worked SUPER well in T-max developer. ONE shot down the drain. For me I used to let it "rest" in tempered H20 after developemt and then into fixer. My rest seems to tempter the contrast and help shadow details develop a little more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin