Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,379   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok,

In order to speed up the process a little, I have just ordered the residual hypo test (to test for washing), along with a residual silver test (to test for fixing). I'm pretty confident that fixing for 5 times the clearing time is enough, but I can't hurt to test.

I won't print again until that gets here, but I'll let you guys know what the tests indicate as soon as I do them.

Thank you all for your help, and until next time: ta-da

André de Avillez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright, I just finished a printing session, and I think I might have solved the washing problems.

Seeing as I use a tray washer for my prints, I built 4 print dividers out of 1/16" acrylic sheets, with 3/16" spacers between them, and 1/16" risers to keep the prints from touching the bottom sheets. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but in effect it does the following:

It keeps the prints from touching each other.
    It separates the wash water from each print (it might not do so completely, but it does it much better than with nothing between the prints).
    It allows for water to flow above and under the prints.

By using these spacers I was able to wash 4 JandC fiber prints effectively (according to the residual hypo test). I left them in the wash for 50 minutes after the last print went in, and all of them tested succesfully for the wash.

Of course time will tell if washing was indeed the problem. We'll see next week.

And of course, to complicate matters slightly, the testing solution warns that hypo eliminators might interfere with the test due to their ammonia content. And I fix with TF-3, which contains ammonium thiosulfate. Oh well, who could have guessed? Maybe it won't interfere, after all, TF-4 contains ammonium thiosulfate as well, and it's made by the same people who make the residual hypo test solution (photo formulary)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin